JJW Book, Xenophon, etc...etc

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Dean
Textkit Neophyte

JJW Book, Xenophon, etc...etc

Post by Dean »

I have been using JJW mostly for the reading exercises and haven't had too much trouble with it. The question is: Where do I go from here? Can anyone suggest some selected passages from the Anabasis for reading? There have to be some that are more entertaining (or better) than others? If this was a Latin forum I might be able to suggest some as I had more literature there :)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:JJW Book, Xenophon, etc...etc

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I'm looking for a reader that is a selected passages from xenophon - they're out there but one hasn't come my way yet.<br /><br />I did manage to find a very nice Selected Passages From Plato by Author Sidgwick (this is a great book).<br /><br />My suggestion is to move on to Goodwin's Grammar/First Four Books of Xenophon. That's the next step from the publisher's and authors point of view. If you want, download the Anabasis in English and skim it looking for passages that you think are interesting and then find that passage in Greek and go from there. <br /><br />Jeff
Textkit Founder

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Re:JJW Book, Xenophon, etc...etc

Post by Ptolemaios »

I've read the end of book IV, because of the famous qa/latta qa/latta passage (4. 7, 24), where the Greeks for the first time see the Black Sea near Trapezon (modern Trabzon).<br /><br /> Eu)/xomai se e)rrw=sqai <br /><br />Ptolemaios