feminae pulchram, correct syntax?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

feminae pulchram, correct syntax?

Post by NelsonN »

I just started reading D'Ooge's Latin For Beginners and I am now on part 2.

After going thru the singular and plural section I am left to conclude that, this is a correct Latin sentence?

"feminae pulchram" meaning "women are beautiful"

I am just asking, premature as it will seem to most, is if I am headed in the right direction?

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Re: feminae pulchram, correct syntax?

Post by solitario »

NelsonN wrote:"feminae pulchram" meaning "women are beautiful"
Salve!

I don't think "pulchram" should be in the accusative.
And you need a verb.
If that helps any...

Vale bene!

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

pulchram should also be plural. Because the adjective is describing the noun feminae it must agree in gender, (which you got right), as well as case and number. Because feminae is plural nominative, then pulchram must also be plural and nominative.

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

phil wrote:pulchram should also be plural. Because the adjective is describing the noun feminae it must agree in gender, (which you got right), as well as case and number. Because feminae is plural nominative, then pulchram must also be plural and nominative.
So, I got it right? :shock:

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

NelsonN wrote:So, I got it right? :shock:
Still confused, ay?

Look at the Spanish: "Las mujeres son hermosas."

See how the adjective "hermosa" is in the plural. You need to do this with pulchra.

Also, you need the Latin equivalent of "son." Which is the 3rd Person Plural form of the verb esse. (Usually listed in Latin dictionaries under "sum".)

Still need help?

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

pulchrae?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

feminae pulchrae is correct, but it means "beautiful women". In some circumstances you could leave the verb out, but typically you would say Feminae sunt pulchrae "Women are beautiful". Don't worry if you're just getting started, you will be able to write sentences in a short time.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

benissimus wrote:feminae pulchrae is correct, but it means "beautiful women". In some circumstances you could leave the verb out, but typically you would say Feminae sunt pulchrae "Women are beautiful". Don't worry if you're just getting started, you will be able to write sentences in a short time.
According to the book, I can leave the verb out.

Maybe I should approach Latin from my Spanish instead of my English?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Quiero hacer los opispos que son a la playa porque tienen las hijas y somos toros :shock:

Can you tell I know no spanish? :wink:

Pulchrae feminae = The women are beautiful, because latin often omits parts of "esse" (ser/estar I think!). But still it's an extremely common verb! It must be learned. (Try from the spanish some forms differ very little: somos/sumus, son/ sunt, es/ est etc.)

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

Episcopus wrote:Quiero hacer los opispos que son a la playa porque tienen las hijas y somos toros :shock:

Can you tell I know no spanish? :wink:
I read you loud and clear. :)