BLB, Collar & Daniell, § 35

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Barrius
Textkit Member

BLB, Collar & Daniell, § 35

Post by Barrius »

From "The Beginner's Latin Book" by Collar and Daniell - can someone be so kind as to check my responses. (With exercise text so no one has to look them up).

Critics welcome. Suggestions taken. Thanks in advance.

Code: Select all

Page 12, § 35.I  (Genitive And Dative)
 1. It is the first hour.					Hora prima est.
 2. There is a full moon.					Est luna plena.
 3. The moon is full.						 Luna est plena.
 4. The dove is small.						Columba est parva.
 5. The tail of the eagle is broad.	  Cauda aquillae est lata.
 6. The girl gives the queen a rose.	 Puella reginae rosam dat.
 7. The queen's roses are white.		  Rosas reginae sunt alba.
 8. A little girl has a little rose.	 Puella parva rosam parvam habet.
			  									  Puellae parvae est rosam parvam.
 9. The first hour is a long one.		 Hora prima est longa.
10. Galba gives the girls some roses.	Galba puellis rosas dat.

Page 12, § 35.II  (Genitive And Dative)
 1. The queen's daughter has a white rose.				Filia reginae rosam albam habet.
 2. The queen of Britain gives the girl a great rose. Regina Britanniae puellae rosam multam dat.
 3. It is the second hour of the full moon.			  Est hora secunda lunae plenae.
 4. The daughters of Cornelia are small girls.		  Filiae Corneliae sunt puella parva.
 5. The daughters of Cornelia are good little girls.  Filiae Corneliae sunt puella bona et parva.
 6. The little dove's tail is a long one.				 Caudae parvae columbae est longa.
 7. The wings of the eagles are long and broad.		 Aquilae alae sunt longa et lata.
 8. Eagles have long, broad wings.						  Aquilae alas longam et latam habent.
 9. Many doves have white tails.							 Columbae multae caudam albam habent.
																		Columbae multae sunt caudam albam.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: BLB, Collar & Daniell, § 35

Post by benissimus »

Barrius wrote:From "The Beginner's Latin Book" by Collar and Daniell - can someone be so kind as to check my responses. (With exercise text so no one has to look them up).

Critics welcome. Suggestions taken. Thanks in advance.

Page 12, § 35.I (Genitive And Dative)
1. It is the first hour. Hora prima est.
2. There is a full moon. Est luna plena.
3. The moon is full. Luna est plena.
4. The dove is small. Columba est parva.
5. The tail of the eagle is broad. Cauda aquillae est lata.
Aquila is not usually spelled with two L's (excuse me for being anal)
6. The girl gives the queen a rose. Puella reginae rosam dat.
7. The queen's roses are white. Rosas reginae sunt alba.
Rosas should be in the nominative plural, alba should also be in the nominative plural to match.
8. A little girl has a little rose. Puella parva rosam parvam habet. Puellae parvae est rosam parvam.
In the second sentence, dative of possession, rosam parvam would usually be in the nominative.
9. The first hour is a long one. Hora prima est longa.
10. Galba gives the girls some roses. Galba puellis rosas dat.
This is fine. Were you supposed to translate "some" or leave it as implied?

Page 12, § 35.II (Genitive And Dative)
1. The queen's daughter has a white rose. Filia reginae rosam albam habet.
2. The queen of Britain gives the girl a great rose. Regina Britanniae puellae rosam multam dat.
Multam should be magnam, I mix those up occasionally... :roll:
3. It is the second hour of the full moon. Est hora secunda lunae plenae.
4. The daughters of Cornelia are small girls. Filiae Corneliae sunt puella parva.
Puella Parva (Keesa's sister) should be in the nominative plural.
5. The daughters of Cornelia are good little girls. Filiae Corneliae sunt puella bona et parva.
Cornelia's daughters are a good and small girl? puella bona... parva should all be in the plural nominative.
6. The little dove's tail is a long one. Caudae parvae columbae est longa.
"tail" looks to me like it should be in the nominative singular here. Seems like you got swept up in all those genitives. :lol:
7. The wings of the eagles are long and broad. Aquilae alae sunt longa et lata.
"of the eagles" is a genitive plural, not singular. The adjectives longa and lata should be in the plural if you want them to match alae.
8. Eagles have long, broad wings. Aquilae alas longam et latam habent.
Adjectives must agree both in case and in number, so match the endings with alas, and longam et latam.
9. Many doves have white tails. Columbae multae caudam albam habent.
caudas albas would probably be better.
Columbae multae sunt caudam albam.
Columbae multae is singular but you need a dative plural. Caudam albam would be better in the nominative plural; otherwise what is the subject of sunt?
You are doing very well. Writing from English to Latin is a great skill and ensures that you know the grammar well better than just by translating into English. Your biggest trouble seems to be with matching adjectives to their nouns. It is actually quite easy. You just make sure the adjectives have the same 1st or 2nd declension endings as the noun they go with (until you get to 3rd declension :twisted: ).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

Aquila is not usually spelled with two L's (excuse me for being anal)
No problem – I just need to learn to spell!

Rosas should be in the nominative plural, alba should also be in the nominative plural to match.
Rosae (np) reginae (gs) sunt albae (matching case of “Rosae”).

In the second sentence, dative of possession, rosam parvam would usually be in the nominative.
A little girl has a little rose. Puellae (ds) parvae (ds matching case of “Puella”) est rosa (ns) parva (matching case of rosa).

This is fine. Were you supposed to translate "some" or leave it as implied?
The text said to omit the “some”. That said, I can't see “parva” meaning some/few, so possibly we'll learn a word for this later?

Multam should be magnam, I mix those up occasionally...
Regina Britanniae puellae rosam magnam dat. I can't learn unless my mistakes are pointed out!

Puella Parva (Keesa's sister) should be in the nominative plural.
Filiae (np) Corneliae (gs) sunt puellae (np matching case of “Filiae”) parvae (ibid). Keesa's sister will be happy ;o)

Cornelia's daughters are a good and small girl? puella bona... parva should all be in the plural nominative.
Argggh! Filiae (np) Corneliae (gs) sunt puellae (np matching case of “Filiae”) bonae (ibid) parvae (ibid).

"tail" looks to me like it should be in the nominative singular here. Seems like you got swept up in all those genitives.
Cauda parvae columbae est longa (The little dove's tail is a long one). If it were “The dove's little tail is a long one” would it be “Columbae cauda parva est longa”?

"of the eagles" is a genitive plural, not singular. The adjectives longa and lata should be in the plural if you want them to match alae.
Aquilarum (gp) alae (np) sunt longae (np matching case of “alae”) et latae (ibid).

Adjectives must agree both in case and in number, so match the endings with alas, and longam et latam.
Aquilae alae longae et latae habent. The adjectives match the case of “wings”, not eagles, right?

caudas albas would probably be better.
Columbae multae caudas albas habent. (Many doves have white tails)

Columbae multae is singular but you need a dative plural. Caudam albam would be better in the nominative plural; otherwise what is the subject of sunt?
Columbis multis sunt caudae albae. (“Many doves have white tails” dative of possession)

Your biggest trouble seems to be with matching adjectives to their nouns. It is actually quite easy. You just make sure the adjectives have the same 1st or 2nd declension endings as the noun they go with (until you get to 3rd declension).

Duly noted. Thank you ever so much for all your help (and patience).

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Barrius wrote:"tail" looks to me like it should be in the nominative singular here. Seems like you got swept up in all those genitives.
Cauda parvae columbae est longa (The little dove's tail is a long one). If it were “The dove's little tail is a long one” would it be “Columbae cauda parva est longa”?
Flawless! 8)
Aquilae alae longae et latae habent. The adjectives match the case of “wings”, not eagles, right?
You are right about the adjectives having to match "wings", unless you want "long and tall birds". However, they are the object and must be in the accusative plural here.
Duly noted. Thank you ever so much for all your help (and patience).
It's quite a pleasure actually. Keep the question coming! (si tibi placet)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

benissimus wrote:You are right about the adjectives having to match "wings", unless you want "long and tall birds". However, they are the object and must be in the accusative plural here.
Aquilarum alas longas et latas habent.
It's quite a pleasure actually. Keep the question coming! (si tibi placet)
I'll try not to bug you to death :wink: