Corpus et geminata victoria - Roma Aeterna XLIII Line 110

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
wilhelmjohnson
Textkit Neophyte

Corpus et geminata victoria - Roma Aeterna XLIII Line 110

Post by wilhelmjohnson »

Alterum intactum ferro corpus et geminta victoria ferocem in certamen tertium dabat; A translation I found reads, "The one, unscathed after his double victory, was eager for the third contest."

I don't see any dictionary entries translating the Latin conjunction (and sometimes adverb) et with the English preposition after. Is after the correct word to use in this context?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Corpus et geminata victoria - Roma Aeterna XLIII Line 11

Post by Qimmik »

Out of context, it's hard to tell what the subject is here. geminta should be geminata, right?

Alterum intactum ferro corpus et geminata victoria ferocem

The translation you quote is very loose. This means, more or less literally, "the one, [or 'the other'], untouched as to his body by the iron [weapon] and savage because of [or 'with'] his twin victory [i.e., I guess, his previous two victories, his previous repeated victories] . . . " But this whole phrase is accusative and must be the object of dabat.

wilhelmjohnson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wilhelmjohnson »

Qimmik,

Sorry for the delayed response on this one. The terminal A's in geminata victoria do not have macrons and can only be nominative.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Again, without more context, it's difficult to see what's going on here syntactically. Is this Jason?

Perhaps dabat means "rendered" or just "made".

His body unscathed by the weapon and his double victory made the other one savage for the third fight.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

OK, this is Horatius at the Bridge, Livy 1.25.11. Without irony:

http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/horatius.html

His body, unscathed by a weapon, and his double victory sent [dabat, literally, "gave", singular verb with two subjects] the one [Horatius] savagely eager [ferocem] into the third fight.

Allen & Greenough 317b and c:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0001