Pindar Quote

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Saiph
Textkit Neophyte

Pindar Quote

Post by Saiph »

Can someone help me translate this ? ?

[size=117]μη φιλα ψυχα βιοv αθανατοv σπευδε ταν δεμπραχτον αυτλει μαχαμαν[/size]

I was guessing it was something like, "Not love soul life not death strives my firend ? to exaust the battle" ? ? ?

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi saiph, i'll re-arrange it to make it simpler,

[size=150]μὴ σπεῦδε ἀθάνατον βίον, φίλα ψυχά, ἄντλει δὲ τὰν μαχανὰν ἔμπρακτον.[/size]

don't be eager for ([size=150]σπεῦδε[/size]: pres. imperative 2nd sg) immortal life, dear soul (pindar always talks to his soul), but make the most of ([size=150]ἄντλει[/size]: pres. imperative 2nd sg) the resources ([size=150]τα—ν μαχανα—ν[/size], fem acc. sg.) within one's power (also fem acc sg.). (in prose the article would prob attach to [size=150]μαχανὰν[/size], and [size=150]ἔμπρακτον[/size] would either have no article (fresh predicate) or another [size=150]τὰν[/size] article, but here in poetry it's a bit more flexible). hope that helps :)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Oh, I got liking this phrase. And it seems to justify my caffeine addiction: I don't care about longevity, but I just want to squeeze out my most; with caffeine. :P

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

if u want to read it in pindar's unique rhythm, the original wording (in saiph's post) goes (dash is long, dot short)

- . - - // - . . - // . . - // - . - - // - . - - // - . -

(there aren't really feet in pindar, the // above are just to make it easier to read online) :)

Saiph
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Saiph »

Thanks.