Turbato per metum ludicro

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Turbato per metum ludicro

Post by pmda »

In Orberg's LLPSI Cap XLII:

Turbato [pf3s] per metum [mas] ludicro, maesti [mnp] parentes [mnp] virginum [fgp] profugiunt [pf3p] Romanos [map] 'perfidos [map] hospites' [map] incusantes [mnp] deumque [mas] Neptunum [mas] invocantes [mas].

Through fear, with the disturbing trick (turbato...ludicro) the unhappy parents of the girls pursued the Romans accusing them of being treacherous hosts and calling upon the god Neptune.

I was a little unsure about the opening clause - ablative absolute I think. Does my reading look right?

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Turbato per metum ludicro

Post by Shenoute »

Yes, it is an ablative absolute (but your tentative translation makes it look like an ablative of mean).
> "The game being disturbed by fear,..."

As for the rest of the sentence, I don't think Romanos is the object of profugiunt (which means "flee" and not "pursue"). They flee, blaming the Romans.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thank you.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

I think that in: Turbato per metum ludicro

I thought that 'turbato' refers to the parents (Ludicro here by the way is probably more accurately 'trick' than game)

'...so it could translate as 'Agitated through fear by the trick'....the parents fled the Romans....'

but turbato is singular and would not agree with parentes so it must be something like the trick, by fear disturned'...but this is not satisfactory....

what do you think he means in plain English..?

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Hi,

The Romans have prepared some entertainement and invited their neighbours. In the middle of it, they seize their neighbours' women/girls which frightens the neighbours and disturbs the game(s)/show.
Charlton T. Lewis, An Elementary Latin Dictionary wrote:lūdicrum ī, n
ludicer, a sport, toy, means of sport, game : iuvenes, quibus id ludicrum est, Ta.: et versūs et cetera ludicra pono, trifles , H. — A show, public game, scenic show, stage-play : Olympiorum solemne, L., H.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

...but my question is: what does 'turbato' refer to? Whom or what does it apply to?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

what does 'turbato' refer to?
ludicro

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

OK so it's the trick that is disturbed...?

'...by this disturb(ing?) trick....' ?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Ludicrum here means "game" or "games," NOT "trick".
lūdicrum ī, n . . . A show, public game, scenic show, stage-play
Turbato is passive.

"The games having been disturbed/disrupted by fear . . . " Ablative absolute.

Also maesti parentes virginum profugiunt Romanos - "the unhappy parents of the girls flee [not "pursue"] the Romans."