ἀκρόδρυα

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

ἀκρόδρυα

Post by Helikwps »

Hi and thanks much for all the help and instruction this board has given me. I've always assumed ἀκρόδρυα meant fruit, with an occasional second meaning of 'first fruits' or the fruit grown on the upper branches of trees (hence the ἀκρό). But my print edition of Liddell and Scott goes on to say "esp. hard-shelled fruits", i.e. nuts in the parlance of Liddell's day -- which thinking back makes a lot more sense in the contexts I've seen the word used -- Lucian in the whale, banquet in Life of Aesop, Daphnis & Chloe family scene. Can anyone offer insight? Replies greatly appreciated.
Tim

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: ἀκρόδρυα

Post by mwh »

No real insights to offer, but given that δρυς often refers to oak it’s natural enough that ακροδρυα refers to acorns and such. Both words have quite an extensive range, but as LSJ says, ακροδρυα can be differentiated from οπωραι.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Re: ἀκρόδρυα

Post by Helikwps »

Thanks much mwh -- I hadn't realized the reference to oaks, that's a big help -- and I'll keep an eye out for the appearance of both words in the future. Much appreciated,
Tim