help check my persistent accentuation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

help check my persistent accentuation

Post by akhnaten »

Hi. Thanks to everyone for guidance thus far.
Can someone check these first few accentuation drills for persistent nouns? I have learned the first noun couple declensions and would like to make sure I have the accentuation rules down. Exercises are first 12 drills for persistent accents found in Hansen and Quinn's introduction, page 12 (introduction is not part of online answer key I've found).

"The accent on the following words is persistent and is given by the first of the forms in the following series. Put the proper accent on the other words [...]":

Σοκράτης, Σοκράτους, Σοκράτει, Σοκράτη
ἄγγελος, ἀγγέλου, ἄγγελον, ἀγγέλους
φιλία, φιλίαν, φιλίαις, φιλίας (long a throughout, except in diphthong)
φίλος, φίλου, φίλοι, φίλους
λῦμα, λύματος, λύματι, λυμάτων, λύματα (long u in stem throughout)
πόλεμος, πολέμου, πολέμῳ, πόλεμον, πολέμων, πόλεμοις
ξένος, ξένου, ξένῳ, ξένον, ξένοι, ξένους
ἆθλον, ἄθλου, ἆθλα, ἄθλων, ἆθλοις (long a in stem throughout)
ζῷον, ζῴου, ζῴῳ, ζῷα, ζῷοις
ἀρετή, ἀρετεήν, ἀρεταί, ἀρετάς
δημοκρατία, δημοκρατίᾳ, δημοκρατίαν, δημοκρατίαις
εἰρήνη, εἰρήνης, εἰρήνην, εἰρῆαις

pretty sure i got the hang of it--but need to know if i don't! thanks for any help.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: help check my persistent accentuation

Post by Paul Derouda »

-οις and αις (dat. pl) are long. Thus πολέμοις, ἄθλοις, ζώιοις (iota adscriptum, since I couldn't find iota subscriptum), εἰρήναις.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, have a second look at πόλεμοις, ἆθλοις, ζῷοις, εἰρῆαις (accent 1 beat too far back in each case), + spelling of ἀρετεήν, εἰρῆαις + the vowel in the first syllable of socrates' name, cheers, chad

PS i see paul just replied on the same points.

akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

Post by akhnaten »

thank you. i was thinking that -ois and -ais was short (like a final -oi/-ai). i think that clears up the trouble i was having. the spelling mistakes (o for w in Socrates) are a result of me getting familiar with the UniGreek typing software.