BLD §§124-125 Conjugation fo SUM

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

§124

Nunc laetus es, sed nuper non laetus eras. Cur miser eras?
Key: Now you are happy, but recently you weren’t happy. Why were you sad?

I don't have "sad" as a meaning for misera; wretched, unfortunate. Is there another definition someplace that I missed?

Nunc sum apud socios meos.
Nunc laeti sumus et erimus.

Key:
Now I am with my companions. Should be among.
Now I am and will be happy. Should be plural, We are happy and we will be (happy)

§125.9
The teachers were happy because of the boys industry.
Key: Magistri erant laeti industria puerorum.

The word I have for "industry" is diligentia, -ae. I think this is the ablative of cause, in the plural: diligentiis. This is another case where I'm not sure of the use of of word that can be applied to an individual or a group; an attribute of one or many. What would be the use of the word in the plural? Industries? I've just keyed on to whom the attribute is applied (the boys) and followed that. I infer from the word "industria" that it is singular, though.

- Tim

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

I forgot one more:

§124
Eritisne mox in ludo?
Key: Will you be in school tomorrow?

Tomorrow should be soon

- Tim

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Good eye. Miser could conceivably be translated as "sad", as in "in a sad state, pitiable" but it is probably better that the key have the book's own vocabulary as much as possible. Industria is certainly the option for "industry", but if the book doesn't use it then I would hesitate to have it in the key. I do think it was correct to have industria in the singular, as it is referring to their collective 'industry' and was not meant to say that they each have their own separate industries. In these cases you can very often just substitute the word as singular if it is singular in Engllish and plural if it is plural in English.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

You're right, I sometimes mess those things up. I usually translate directly from Latin to English or the other way around, but sometimes Dutch interferes. I've changed the key.

Thanks again.

Ingrid