Rebus divinis rite factis

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Rebus divinis rite factis

Post by pmda »

This is the opening sentence of Orberg's LLPSI Cap XLII. I've parsed it and translated it. Do I have it right...?

Rebus [fabp] divinis [fabp] rite [adv.] factis [pf3p(fab)] vocataque [pf3p(fabp)] ad concilium [mas] multitudine [fabp], quae [fns] nulla [fabs] re [fabs] nisi legibus [fabp] in unum [mas] populum [mas] coalescere [pi] poterat [impf.3s], Romulus [mns] iura [nap] dedit [pf3s].

These divine things having been done and the calling to a council of a multitude, which by no means other than law could be unified into one population, Romulus delivered laws.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Rebus divinis rite factis

Post by Qimmik »

Your translation is more or less correct. However, a few points should be noted.

Rebus divinis rite factis - "Divine things having been done properly"; in other words, religious rituals were duly and properly performed before the main clause of the sentence, Romulus's lawgiving. This is an ablative absolute.

vocataque ad concilium multitudine - This is a second ablative absolute that is parallel to, but not part of, the first. ". . . the crowd having been called to the assembly . . . " Here, vocata and multitudine are singular, not, as your brackets seem to suggest, plural, and consilium is neuter, not masculine. quae is feminine singular because its antecedent is multitudine.

You might distinguish legibus from iura by translating the first as "laws" or maybe "legal strictures," and the second as "a body of legislation."

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

May I ask, what kind of abbreviation system are you using? Some I can deduce the meaning of (pi = presens infinitive; pf3p = perfect 3rd person particip), but I am at a loss to explain what you mean with fabp, mas, fns, and nap.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

I think it's an absolutely feminine ablative system. And now I think I'll take a neuter accusative plural.

HTH

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks. I made some basic errors in the parsing (even I know better). The system I use is one I made up for my own purposes and, even worse, I may have made mistakes in setting it down here!

I have no doubt that there is a better (proper / recognised?) one out there and if you can point me to one I'll be very grateful. But for what it's worth here is how I use it.

I use only lower case and only one letter to describe that case with the exception of ablative which is 'ab' for obvious reasons.

So the noun 'Mensa' is feminine nominative plural or fnp

if it's Mensa ablative then it's fabp

If it's a verb such as 'amo' then this is present, first person singular or p1s.

If it's a passive verb such as 'amor' then this is present first person singular passive or p1s(p)

If it's a pluperfect subjunctive passive such as amati essent then this is pluperfect subjunctive third person plural passive masculine nominative plural (i.e. participle gender) or pls3p(p)mnp.

note: p = present; pf=perfect; pl = pluperfect; s=subjunctive; f=future etc...

I developed this so as to fully parse sentences as I work through Orberg's books.

Paul
Last edited by pmda on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

so...to answer your specific questions:

pf3p doesn't mean perfect 3rd person particip but perfect 3rd person plural

fabp = feminine ablative plural

mas = masculine accusative singular

fns = feminine nominative singular

nap = neuter accusative plural

...not helped by my errors in accurately using my own system in the original post - but I was trying to make it more intuitive....

regards

Paul
Last edited by pmda on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

As I said, I think it's an absolutely feminine ablative system. And now I think I'll take another neuter accusative plural.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks but what's an afas ?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

A feminine ablative absolute system -- noun + participle.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

[Deleted]