501 Latin Verbs

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

501 Latin Verbs

Post by mariek »

Any thoughts on the book "501 Latin Verbs" ? It supposedly conjugates the verbs for you so all you have to do is look 'em up.<br /><br />I'd really be interested in a Latin version of the French Bescherelle verb book; I found bescherelle far superior to the "501 French Verbs" book.<br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:501 Latin Verbs

Post by Milito »

I had it for a while, and did find it very useful. I loaned it to a friend who homeschools her kids, and who was including Latin in their curriculum..... Which reminds me that I ought to see if she still needs it......<br /><br />Kilmeny

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

mariek,<br /><br />You could save yourself some money by just learning the 5 basic conjugations. There are only a handful of irregular and just plain weird verbs in Latin. I've not seen D'Ooge's text, but it probably has an appendix listing the basic conjugations and the irregular verbs.<br /><br />I'll download his book soon, but at the moment I don't want to slow down my internet access for a couple of hours. I'll get back to you then.<br /><br />Magistra<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Magistra link=board=3;threadid=236;start=0#1265 date=1058024418]<br />mariek,<br /><br />You could save yourself some money by just learning the 5 basic conjugations. There are only a handful of irregular and just plain weird verbs in Latin. <br />I've not seen D'Ooge's text, but it probably has an appendix listing the basic conjugations and the irregular verbs.<br /><br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />Indeed it has. <br /><br />I just stick with what B.L.D. teaches through each lesson, he comes onto verbs at the p50 mark; he makes them seem very simple, covering present, imperfect, future active firstly, of the similar 1st and 2nd conjugations.<br /><br />The appendices at the back sums all declensions, conjugations etc. up, and is useful; however not for raw memorizing. Learning properly works not in this way with B.L.D. He teaches it all in time ;D<br /><br />I just don't see the point of having a book full of 501 conjugations when simple rules of personal endings and tense signs of regular verbs of each conjugation are being easily taught in Latin For Beginners, by D'Ooge.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Magistra link=board=3;threadid=236;start=0#1265 date=1058024418]<br />You could save yourself some money by just learning the 5 basic conjugations. There are only a handful of irregular and just plain weird verbs in Latin.[/quote]<br />I just checked and you're absolutely right. They have some example conjugations in Appendix I at the back of the book. Well it's good to hear that there aren't too many irregular verbs.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=236;start=0#1266 date=1058028966]<br />The appendices at the back sums all declensions, conjugations etc. up, and is useful; however not for raw memorizing. Learning properly works not in this way with B.L.D. He teaches it all in time ;D[/quote]<br />I guess I'll learn them through practice rather than memorization.<br /><br />Does he ever cover more practical vocabulary ? I mean... I just don't see myself saying stuff like "The goddess of the moon loves the waters of the forest" all that much.<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

You know the exercises? You have to learn special vocabulary?<br /><br />Well there are about 20 pages of just vocabulary at the back.<br /><br />Myself I've printed out the whole book. It really helps. <br /><br />As you go on the language becomes more general as vocabulary widens. <br /><br />Skip in adobe to the reading matter, Hercules; you're supposed to be able to read that by the end!<br /><br />I can't wait!<br /><br />I see what you mean, but whenever can one talk to some one else in latin on the subject of our general life? <br /><br />Latin isn't feeble like welsh; people have respected the language enough not to mess with it IMHO!<br /><br />What kind of practical vocabulary were you thinking of?<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Some books are better on vocabulary than others. It's really more important that the grammar is good than to teach vocabulary. It's mostly your own endeavor to add as many words as you can to your vocabulary, because it's just not something a book can teach you. This comes mostly from speaking in modern languages, but mostly from reading in Latin.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=236;start=0#1303 date=1058097103][/quote]Myself I've printed out the whole book.<br />The book has 358 pages! And you printed it all? Wow. So how thick does that come out to be? If you got really fancy, I suppose you can put it in some sort of spiral binding.<br /><br />I've only printed up to page 50 so I can carry it around with me and glance at it now and then when I'm idle, like when I'm on the bus. I will do more of this going forward because I've just finished reading Harry Potter 5. I'm glad I don't have to carry that big book around anymore! I mostly read the PDF file on the computer which is why I also do the exercises on my computer.<br /><br />Skip in adobe to the reading matter, Hercules; you're supposed to be able to read that by the end! <br />I found it on pg 197. Cool, I'll look forward to reading that in about 2 years.<br /><br />I see what you mean, but whenever can one talk to some one else in latin on the subject of our general life?<br />Well I dunno... but it would be useful if we're all going to hang out in the Agora forum to confabulate in Latin about life in general.<br /><br />Latin isn't feeble like welsh<br />I don't know anything about the Welsh language. Can't think of anyone who speaks it. What is it about Welsh that you feel is feeble?<br /><br />What kind of practical vocabulary were you thinking of?<br />Oh, I dunno... just everyday stuff people converse about. And I can tell you it's not about killing wild beasts with arrows, or how the good farmer's daughter is preparing dinner. :P<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=236;start=0#1330 date=1058135058]<br />Oh, I dunno... just everyday stuff people converse about. And I can tell you it's not about killing wild beasts with arrows, or how the good farmer's daughter is preparing dinner.<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />heh...It will become better though! At page 50--> Dr. D'Ooge supes it up to the max. <br /><br />I think I'll need to post some translation help now! <br /><br />nouns like 'mater', mother are 3rd declension and that hasn't appeared yet! <br />Good thing about B.L.D, he gradually introduces noun declensions without boring one!<br /><br />Ill hatiau fuciwch cymraeg itodd iswydd stupidoedd aech au wastiwll offdd timioriwch. <br /><br />that's not even welsh, but it looks almost as bad! write a sentence backwards in english it will resemble welsh more than anything else.<br /><br />Here, they teach welsh to welsh children who don't want to learn their language, as english makes some sort of sense.<br />They force it upon us, spend millions. <br /><br />But Latin here is given no recognition, those welsh politicians are unaware of how sharp it can make one!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=236;start=0#1402 date=1058293723][/quote]heh...It will become better though! At page 50--> Dr. D'Ooge supes it up to the max.<br /><br />Page 50 ! ... Ugh, that seems soooooo far away right now.... :'( <br />I'm progressing through the book slower and slower now. One of these days I might even make it to verbs !<br />

Mansella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mansella »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=236;start=0#1303 date=1058097103]<br /><br />Latin isn't feeble like welsh; people have respected the language enough not to mess with it IMHO!<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />What is so feeble about Welsh? Perhaps I'm biased because Welsh is my first language, but Welsh is still spoken is Wales by many people, all public signage is bilingual, we have a strong literary tradition which is all very well respected. I anticipate elucidation of your assertion.

Mansella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mansella »

I have the Russian version of this book, and you are quite correct, its far simpler to learn the conjugations. It's a case of "once you've seen one verb conjugated you've seen them all".

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Mansella link=board=3;threadid=236;start=0#1634 date=1058663761]<br />[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=236;start=0#1303 date=1058097103]<br /><br />Latin isn't feeble like welsh; people have respected the language enough not to mess with it IMHO!<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />What is so feeble about Welsh? Perhaps I'm biased because Welsh is my first language, but Welsh is still spoken is Wales by many people, all public signage is bilingual, we have a strong literary tradition which is all very well respected. I anticipate elucidation of your assertion.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Many people isn't enough. Every welsh child in my area, whose mouths and accents are perfectly tailored for speaking welsh, speaks not a word of welsh; and, instead of welcoming the language into their minds with zeal and interest, they merely discard it as a pointless language. For it is. And I'm sure that you know of the welsh people's pride. This is not merely the majority, but every single english speaking welsh person who - although proud of their fatherland beyond comprehension - insult their native language; curse it's uselessness. <br /><br />My school is falling apart because, in short, insane amounts of money are going towards the creation of arguably unnecessary schools with relatively brilliant facilities. I have been to many of these schools, and some, as if they were not big enough already, are having multi-million-pound extensions built. <br />And what is uncanny about the whole thing is that every single pupil whom I saw coming to/leaving the school and at break time spoke english! This angers me. It's all a façade to gain money, whilst the officially english schools can suck a bishop. <br /><br />At one time it was necessary that we study welsh in 3 lessons per week, a total waste of time. I am not stupid. I want to learn. Hence my endeavouring to learn latin, because it is useful. It makes the brain sharp. I can feel it. Intricate details in any language I can notice and explain; the more I study latin the stronger linguistically; mentally, I become. <br />After 3 years of Welsh, this was not the case. It may be fine for you as a native speaker to curse anyone who insults your precious 20% of its own country language (by the way, how many in wales speak not english?) but you, irrespective of your 'keep welsh alive campaigns' and patriotic speeches or arguments, can never even attempt to justify the usefulness of welsh as a language when english exists amongst us. <br />And, perhaps what angers me most, if Welsh were to have been left alone and Latin kept in this country, then I am certain, almost willing to bet my life, that this generation would not be so retarded. The innumerable 'Will You Help Me Read' campaigns are so fucking contradictory. If the fools who run this country were not so retarded, then they would see that instead of welsh should be Latin in schools. To be blunt, it would give a very belated boost to the general intelligence of this generation. <br /><br />3 years of 3 lessons per week. Countless hours wasted. <br /><br />Incredulous am I, at your being convinced that welsh is actually important! <br />Public signage is more than annoying! Car crashes aplenty have been caused by those poor truckers trying to decipher the Aberhonddu, castell newydd, mhontypridd and the like. It gives me a headache, and once again angers me. What a waste of paint. <br /><br />The backs of leaflets, information brochures, signs, mottos -the list goes on - all translated into welsh. So much time, money, paper and ink wasted. <br /><br />I wish that, one day, I may be strong at Latin to be the sharpest linguistically that I am able to be. <br /><br />Ignorant, and a matter of opinion my dislike of welsh's sound, but facts can never be denied.<br /><br />And don't argue, don't reply; you have no reason to do so - your welsh has won. Sense has been disposed of. Welcome to the new Wales. Retardation.

Mansella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mansella »

personally, I am very much against the policy rife at the moment that stipulates compulsory Welsh lessons in English speaking schools. Children cannot be forced to learn a language that they see as pointless (which is indeed why Latin has been removed from most school timetables), but I object to anyone who calls any language 'feeble'. Your response (to which you are of course most entitles) does not justify the dismissive and hurtful use of the word 'feeble'. Please be a little more sensitive in these matters.<br /><br />I'm not here to start a flame war. I'm here to lean Latin. Let's leave it at that.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

'feeble', to use It, I had no right - but I am immature, and angry >:(<br /><br />Compulsory welsh does not help the language at all, it just makes people like me detest it! <br /><br />If you are a beginner in Latin, I recommend "Latin For Beginners" by Benjamin L. D'Ooge - one can download this from this very site.<br />