really everything clean ?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
piro
Textkit Neophyte

really everything clean ?

Post by piro »

Nestle Greek New Testament 1904
πάντα καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς· τοῖς δὲ μεμιαμμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν, ἀλλὰ μεμίανται αὐτῶν καὶ ὁ νοῦς καὶ ἡ συνείδησις.

why translation has been done this way

New International Version
To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

should be like that -

what is pure to pure and for not pure nothing is pure - they are inside not pure - not in mind not in consciences

panta katara tois katarois - clean things to clean people

Victor
Textkit Fan

Re: really everything clean ?

Post by Victor »

piro wrote:Nestle Greek New Testament 1904
πάντα καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς· τοῖς δὲ μεμιαμμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν, ἀλλὰ μεμίανται αὐτῶν καὶ ὁ νοῦς καὶ ἡ συνείδησις.

why translation has been done this way

should be like that -

what is pure to pure and for not pure nothing is pure - they are inside not pure - not in mind not in consciences
The first half at least of your suggested alternative is nonesensical. If you can give it some kind of cogent meaning, it might be possible for us to answer your question.

piro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by piro »

as it is known exist clean and not clean things and creatures ,so it is clear that what was created by God clean created to clean people

what is clean is to clean and to unclean even clean becomes unclean - as they are unclean they touch it and that becomes unclean

nonsensical is officially given translation

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

piro wrote:as it is known exist clean and not clean things and creatures ,so it is clear that what was created by God clean created to clean people

what is clean is to clean and to unclean even clean becomes unclean - as they are unclean they touch it and that becomes unclean

nonsensical is officially given translation
It's apparent that your grasp of English is as weak as your grasp of Greek. Until one or the other improves, I'm afraid your perplexity looks destined to remain unresolved.

piro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by piro »

i have no perplexity

i want to draw attention that here we have adjective and noun not adverb /panta katara tois katarois/

adjective and noun means different that noun and adverb

i am not after perfect knowledge of English or Greek I am after perfect knowledge of word of God

i understand enough of English and enough of Greek to see the truth

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

piro wrote:i have no perplexity

i am not after perfect knowledge of English or Greek I am after perfect knowledge of word of God

In that case I'm pleased to have helped steer this thread to a satisfactory conclusion, Piro. It's clear that you already had the answer you were looking for.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

piro wrote:i want to draw attention that here we have adjective and noun not adverb /panta katara tois katarois/

adjective and noun means different that noun and adverb
1. Who said anything about an adverb? Is there an adverb in the NIV rendering?
2. Actually, in Greek quite often adverbs and adjectives can be used interchangeably. μόνον θεὸς οἴδε. θεὸς μόνος οἴδε.
3. Yes, for Paul everything is ritually clean, really.

piro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by piro »

something like blood and the rest things were never clean

so to Paul also

adverb used in russian translation

the sense is - all clean to the clean - the first clean is adjective and second also

in russian the first is adverb making all things clean - what is obviously wrong

piro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by piro »

Victor wrote:
piro wrote:i have no perplexity

In that case I'm pleased to have helped steer this thread to a satisfactory conclusion, Piro. It's clear that you already had the answer you were looking for.
------------
i want as usual a confirmation of competent people that i am right

that' s it

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Small corrective for Markos, who wrote
"Actually, in Greek quite often adverbs and adjectives can be used interchangeably. μόνον θεὸς οἴδε. θεὸς μόνος οἴδε."
These two are not equivalent. With monon, means something like "The only thing is that God knows," with monos, "God alone knows" (would not mean this with monon).