Greek conversation practice

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Greek conversation practice

Post by jeidsath »

Anyone up for Google Voice conversations (in Greek)? We can prepare first and discuss a specific section of Xenophon, the New Testament (or whatever). I'd also be happy to use one of Blackie's dialogues, or Thrasymachus. Or whatever interests you.

Ideally, I'd like to start doing this every day. And we probably don't need to limit conversations to 1 on 1.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Greek conversation practice

Post by Markos »

I am pretty much committed to the voice thread forum

Directions:
Go to this link: http://voicethread.com/share/5467767/
Watch and comment.
If you have not yet signed up on Voice Thread, click on “Comment”
You will get a pop-up screen showing the option to “sign in” or “sign up”

because you don't have to get tied down to a scheduled time. But I suppose if we could set up a situation of scheduled times where one could simply drop in when convenient, it might work for me. Is there an advantage that Google Voice has over Skype?

I know that there is an advantage to speaking Greek in real time, but would what you propose work on the asynchronous format of Voice Thread?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I have found a buddy to speak with once a week and it's great. However, due to other commitments, we cannot always make it. So I think that speaking everyday would be unrealistic for me.

How about you organizing a Google Hangout once a month or so? Then we could read together a book, do paraphrase, ask questions...
Preparing first would be nice, but more demanding.

My two drachmas... :D

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

@Markos

I would be happy to start contributing to the voice thread as I can.

And scheduled times for conversation sound good. I am agnostic about Skype vs. Google+, and am willing to use any software. That said, I like Google+ because it makes it easy for groups of people to talk with each other.

It would be easy for me to start a Hangout every evening, and other people could see it and join through my Google+ status (I think).

But I'm willing to use whatever software is easiest for you.

@bedwere

Once a month sounds great. Weekends or evenings work for me (I'm in the California Bay Area, so on PST time).

@Everybody

I'm not sure how best to do this, but feel free to send me an email at jeidsath@gmail.com, and I can add you to my "Greek Conversation" Google+ circle, and automatically send out a notification when I'm online for a Greek conversation. If Skype works better for you, we can add each other as contacts.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

For the past five years, I've been leading a Latin conversation group here in sunny San Diego (see link in my signature). Once a month, if I can find three people (yours truly and two more), we meet somewhere and talk in Latin. Although Joel's group will be over the Internet, maybe my experience will be useful anyway.

The first rule is to keep it simple. No dinners, no lunches, no parties: just organize a meeting with at least three people promising to come and then walk around or go on a gentle hike talking in Latin (or Greek).

The second rule is to have a plan ready. In my case, I ask people and, having heard from all, tell them where and when to meet. For an on-line group, you also need to have something ready to discuss.

The third rule is to be ready to break the first two rules, if people have some reasonable request. For example, someone may be willing to host a dinner, or propose a place where to meet, or a book to discuss in your case.

Σαυλος
Textkit Fan

Post by Σαυλος »

I'm in the same boat as Markos. The most realistic thing for me is the Voice Thread. I think that has the most potential for versatility and being accessible to the most people. Mark and I have been doing this for a few weeks and really enjoy it.

That said, if you do set up something, I'll try to make it. I'll send Jeidsath my google contact just now.

I happen to be doing a 4 hour long course tonight, four hours tomorrow. It will be all conversational Koine. Some of the Biblical Language Center people are putting it on. For now, they just invited those who had taken their F2F seminar.

What we'll do tonight is what I've done in hour long online chats with friends before. One of us writes a short story and then leads the rest in telling it line by line and asking questions about it. It's very simple, organized, and enjoyable way to do it. Lower level people can answer questions easily with mimicry of what was told. Intermediates can give more creative answers. Often those not leading will ask a couple questions. The stories need to be straightforward and very short. It is very easy to spend an hour on a 6-8 line story.

One rule I've found useful is NO SPOKEN ENGLISH. There are times when English might be needed for direction or clarification. We use the text chat tool for that and it works well.
I will babble until I talk. ετι λαλαγω...

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Yes, no spoken English is rule number zero and cannot be violated under pain of hanging, drawing, and quartering! :D

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

"No Spoken English" makes sense to me!

I've contributed to Markos' voice thread. I like it, and will continue, but I do feel that it's no replacement for conversation.

I'm going to try to be online tomorrow evening. If no one is around, I'll plan on my normal studies. Otherwise, we can pick something then to read together and then discuss.