memor

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

memor

Post by pmda »

...is memor (adjective) a substantive here? Its use seems to be completely as a noun as i don't see it playing any qualifynig role in this sentence.

Id metuens et memor veteris belli quod ad Troiam pro caris Argis gesserat (nondum oblita erat causam irae ac doloris: iudicium Paridis, qui Venerem deam pulcherrimam esse iudicaverat), Troianos per mare totum iactatos longe a Latio arcebat.

The fearing and memory of the ancient war which she had waged against Troy, out of love for Argus (she had not yet forgotten the cause of the anger and sorror: the judgement of Paris, which ruled that Venus was the most beautiful goddess), she had kept the Trojians, tossed on the wide ocean, from Latium.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: memor

Post by Qimmik »

memor is an adjective, agreeing, like metuens, with the understood subject of arcebat, i.e., Juno.

memor veteris belli = remembering (translating as an English participle) the ancient war (objective genitive).

Fearing that (i.e., that Rome would destroy Carthage), and remembering the ancient war she had waged at Troy for her beloved Argives (i.e., the Greeks) (she had not yet forgotten the cause of her anger and grief: the judgment of Paris, who (qui agrees with Paris) had judged Venus to be the most beautiful goddess), she was keeping (arcebat; imperfect: she was still doing it) the Trojans, tossed on the whole ocean, far from Latium.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks. I find it hard to understand it as an adjective. Is it something like the 'remembering Iuno' - i.e. the Iuno who remembers? Are there any examples of its use with a noun that's present with it in a sentence...?

Gregarius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gregarius »

Perhaps it is more idiomatic English to use "mindful" to translate memor?

Oh, and I think "id" is accusative here. But I'm no expert.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

A few from the Aeneid--

1.542-3:
Si genus humanum et mortalia temnitis arma
at sperate deos memores fandi atque nefandi.

1.719ff:
. . . at memor ille
matris Acidaliae paulatim abolere Sychaeum
incipit,

4.539-40;
Quiane auxilio iuvat ante levatos,
et bene apud memores veteris stat gratia facti?

9.477ff.:

. . . Evolat infelix et femineo ululatu,
scissa comam, muros amens atque agmina cursu
prima petit, non illa virum, non illa pericli
telorumque memor;

10.491f.:
“Arcades, haec,” inquit, “memores mea dicta referte Euandro

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Gregarius, Quimmik, many thanks.