Malis - Roma Aeterna XLII Line 152

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
wilhelmjohnson
Textkit Neophyte

Malis - Roma Aeterna XLII Line 152

Post by wilhelmjohnson »

Victo malis muliebri pavore—an online translation reads, "throwing off all womanish fears in their distress."

No dictionary I consulted lists distress as one of the translations of malis. If the above translation is incorrect, what would a better rendering be?

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Malis - Roma Aeterna XLII Line 152

Post by anphph »

There's no reason why 'distress' should be wrong. Mala translated literally means 'bad things', but no one would use such awkward rendering, so you're (relatively) free to choose what you want to interpret these 'bad things' as.

Godmy
Textkit Member

Post by Godmy »

Some translations take malis here as an ablative of time/circumstances (a particular version of the locative ablative): in their distress / in the evil they were in

Other translations take it (and I would prefer this reading) as an ablative of means implying here also a cause (a version of the instrumental ablative): by the means (because=) of the bad situation / the distress they were in

The syntax works thus (as you probably know already):
pavor muliebris [hīs] malīs vincitur --> pavor muliebris [hīs] malīs victus est --> victō(abl.) malīs(abl.) muliebrī(abl.) pavōre(abl.)

made with http://linguax.com

= when the womanly fear had been overcome by the means (=because) of the bad situation [they're were in]

So pick which you prefer.
Latin IRC chat: http://textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/vi ... =3&t=62017
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS

wilhelmjohnson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wilhelmjohnson »

Your responses were very helpful. I appreciate the feedback.