HELP! groton and may chapter 37

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
polkmn
Textkit Neophyte

HELP! groton and may chapter 37

Post by polkmn »

hello guys, i'm new to the board and was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm having a lot of trouble translating the story Horace Meets a Boorish Fellow, if anyone could help me out with any part of the story i would be very thankful.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

These are the 38 Latin stories, right? Let me know what you're having problems with, (at least show what you've already got) and I'll try to fill in the blanks for you. Not till tomorrow though, as I've left my copy at home.
Cheers
Phil

polkmn
Textkit Neophyte

Post by polkmn »

hello phil,
i am having problems with the whole passage. i understand some parts of a sentence but can't make it out completly. for example in the first sentence i don't understand the meaning of (ut soleo) or the second sentence (raptaque manu). If you could help me out with any of this passage it would help me out alot. thanks

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

The first two sentences, for those who don't have access to the source code:
Ibam Via Sacra, ut soleo, cogitans de rebus meis. Occurrit quidam notus mihi, nomine tantum, raptaque manu, "Quid agis?" ait.
OK 'ut' is one of those dreadful words like 'modo' with about two hundred meanings. In this case, it means 'just as'. Soleo, solere means to be accustomed to/ to be used to, so ut soleo means something like 'as I usually do'.
raptaque manu. the -que I'm sure you picked up is just a tacked-on 'and'. Tacked onto rapta, (rapio, ere, rapui, raptum). it agrees with manu (fem sing abl), and forms an ablative absolute (and having been snatched/seized/grabbed by the hand)
So the whole sentence, translated into English would perhaps read:
'So there I was, right, just cruisin' down the road, minding my own, ya dig, and this dude I hardly even know, right, grabs me by the arm and goes like"wassup, dog?"
hth :lol:

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

phil wrote: So the whole sentence, translated into English would perhaps read:
'So there I was, right, just cruisin' down the road, minding my own, ya dig, and this dude I hardly even know, right, grabs me by the arm and goes like"wassup, dog?"
hth :lol:
lol. love the "free" translation. :P
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

gfreek3
Textkit Neophyte

having trouble too

Post by gfreek3 »

yeah im having trouble with that chapter too (so many definitions for each word!) and was wondering if you know of a place where I can find a complete answer key for teh book.

gfreek3