Introducing myself, and Homer Iliad, Book 1, lines 189-192

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
byzantion45
Textkit Neophyte

Introducing myself, and Homer Iliad, Book 1, lines 189-192

Post by byzantion45 »

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can explain to me the sense of the present optative "enarizoi" which has its own clause within the historic sequence of deliberative indirect questions, lines 189-192. Is this clause potential perhaps? Is it just a change of aspect? My ponderings come up with no means to express the different tenses here. Best wishes to everybody from Yorkshire!

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Introducing myself, and Homer Iliad, Book 1, lines 189-1

Post by mwh »

Sorry you never got a reply to this post, which I've only just spotted. Usually you could can on getting a reply from one of the very helpful people on this forum.

You're right, surrounded by the normal aorists the present εναριζοι does stand out. The difference will be aspectual. I suppose it's what the grammarians would call "conative"—have a go at killing him. The other contemplated actions are in his power to accomplish, but this one there might be some doubt about. Still, I would have rather expected the aorist myself.

My nostalgic greetings to Yorkshire, where I spent the formative years of my life, the first fifteen.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

I think there's a backlog of initial posts, which require approval. The posts don't show up for months.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Qimmik wrote:I think there's a backlog of initial posts, which require approval. The posts don't show up for months.
there *was* a backlog for awhile, but we've been caught up recently.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus