Textkit Logo

Introducing myself, and Homer Iliad, Book 1, lines 189-192

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Beside Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.

Introducing myself, and Homer Iliad, Book 1, lines 189-192

Postby byzantion45 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:55 am

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can explain to me the sense of the present optative "enarizoi" which has its own clause within the historic sequence of deliberative indirect questions, lines 189-192. Is this clause potential perhaps? Is it just a change of aspect? My ponderings come up with no means to express the different tenses here. Best wishes to everybody from Yorkshire!
byzantion45
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Introducing myself, and Homer Iliad, Book 1, lines 189-1

Postby mwh » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Sorry you never got a reply to this post, which I've only just spotted. Usually you could can on getting a reply from one of the very helpful people on this forum.

You're right, surrounded by the normal aorists the present εναριζοι does stand out. The difference will be aspectual. I suppose it's what the grammarians would call "conative"—have a go at killing him. The other contemplated actions are in his power to accomplish, but this one there might be some doubt about. Still, I would have rather expected the aorist myself.

My nostalgic greetings to Yorkshire, where I spent the formative years of my life, the first fifteen.
mwh
Textkit Zealot

Postby Qimmik » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:58 pm

I think there's a backlog of initial posts, which require approval. The posts don't show up for months.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Postby klewlis » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:23 am

Qimmik wrote:I think there's a backlog of initial posts, which require approval. The posts don't show up for months.

there *was* a backlog for awhile, but we've been caught up recently.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Homeric Greek and Early Greek Poetry