Ambiguous sentence from Bell. Gall. VII?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Ambiguous sentence from Bell. Gall. VII?

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

There is a passage in Caesar's Bellum Gallicum (Liber VII/12) which I do not quite understand:
C. Iulius Caesar wrote:Vercingetorix, ubi de Caesaris adventu cognovit, oppugnatione destitit atque obviam Caesari profiscitur. Ille oppidum Biturigum positum in via Noviodunum oppugnare instituerat.
My Loeb-edition translates this passage as follows:
As soon as he heard of Caesar's approach Vercingetorix abandoned the siege and started to meet him. Caesar, for his part, had determined to assault Noviodunum, a stronghold of the Bituriges stationed on his route.
When I first read the Latin sentence I translated it for myself like this:

Caesar had decided to attack a stronghold of the Bituriges situated on the way to Noviodunum.

Is the Latin sentence really unclear as to whether oppidum Bituriges equals Noviodunum (not very likely), or am I missing something?

By the way, please help me in correcting the mistakes in the KEY to Adler's Practical Grammar. I really need your help and would appreciate your feedback to my questions.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

PS: I have just started to read Latin, or the empire of a sign by Françoise Waquet. From what I have read so far, it promises to be a really interesting book.
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ambiguous sentence from Bell. Gall. VII?

Post by Qimmik »

If the sentence meant "on the way to Novidunum", there would be a preposition before Noviodunum. Noviodunum must be in apposition to oppidum.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Carolus Raeticus wrote:PS: I have just started to read Latin, or the empire of a sign by Françoise Waquet. From what I have read so far, it promises to be a really interesting book.
Est quidem. It really is.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salve Qimmik!
Qimmik wrote:If the sentence meant "on the way to Novidunum", there would be a preposition before Noviodunum. Noviodunum must be in apposition to oppidum.
According to Wheelock's Latin (Chapter 37) and A&G's New Latin Grammar (§ 427) no preposition is used with the actual names of cities, towns, and small islands to indicate the place to which. What am I missing?

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

An accusative without a preposition can't depend on a noun. The accusative without a preposition is used with a verb of motion to indicate place to which, but via isn't a verb. The genitive might work.

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

Carolus Raeticus wrote: When I first read the Latin sentence I translated it for myself like this:

Caesar had decided to attack a stronghold of the Bituriges situated on the way to Noviodunum.
You're making in via function quasi-prepositionally, which it can't do, as Qimmik has said.
To get the meaning you suggest, you'd have to have something like:
Ille oppidum quoddam Biturigum, Noviodunum versus, oppugnare instituerat.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Thank you, Victor and Qimmik!

Now I finally understand. Thank you for both your help.

Bye,

Carolus Raeticus