Colles Romae

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Colles Romae

Post by pmda »

Orberg is fairly casual about giving one the correct gender of place names. For example here is a list of the Roman hills and I cannot find any dictionary or source to give me the correct gender of a number of them. It's my view that good dictionaries ought to provide gender for all common place names found in Latin authors. Can anyone tell me the gender of the Quirinalis, -i (?) and Viminalis, -i (?) and, perhaps, more to the point the whereabouts of any source for such information?

Roman hills:
Palatium, -i (n)
Capitolium, -i (n)
Aventinus, -i (m)
Caelius, -i (m)
Esquiliae, -arum (f)
Quirinalis, -i (?)
Viminalis, -i (?)

reptilia5
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Colles Romae

Post by reptilia5 »

Qvirinalis/e - adjective of "Qvirinvs" (i.e "Romvlvs"); Collis Qvirinalis (Quirinal Hill, one of the seven hills of Rome).

Qvirinalis M/F
Qvirinale N

Viminalis/e- adj. "Viminal" Collis Viminalis (one of the seven hills of Rome).

Viminalis M/F
Viminale N

They are both third declension adjectives.
Sources: The New College Latin and English Dictionary / en.wiktionary.org

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Hi, thanks.

OK so just to be clear these are all adjectives ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Palatium and Capitolium are nouns; the rest are nouns, too, but specifically substantives, i.e., adjectives as nouns. [Mons] Capitolinus = substantive for Capitolium; Palatinus for Palatium.
Nomina sunt vocabula Palatium Capitoliumque. Nomina substantiva sunt alia, id est, adjectiva pro nominibus. Et Capitolinus nomen substantivum pro Capitolio monte stat; et Palatinus pro Palatio.

The Esquiliae has several peaks, so perhaps, a feminine word such as "rupes" is understood, i.e., the oak rocks/cliffs. There are two islands near me called the Maidens. Who knows, maybe the heights suggested islands (insulae) to someone; or is there a story of girls changed into oaks?
Plura summa habet hic mons, Esquiliae. Sunt insulae prope me Virginum nomine. Forsit "insulae" est nomen subauditum vel "rupes" vel "arbores"; forsit est fabula virginum in arboribus mutatarum.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks Adrianus