Liddell&Scott Big Lexicon on CDROM

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Hal
Textkit Neophyte

Liddell&Scott Big Lexicon on CDROM

Post by Hal »

Has anybody tried using the Liddell&Scott Greek-English Lexicon on CDROM that is offered through Logos Bible Software? Looks to me like it might be prefeable to buying the regular book edition. Any comments would, of course, be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Hal

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

I'm guessing it's Koine?

In any case; internet and CD-ROM dictionaries are convenient to use.

Hal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hal »

Eureka wrote:I'm guessing it's Koine?
From the description it looks like the complete L&S, including the latest supplement. Am thinking it might be worth getting it if it is easier to read than the print edition.

Hal

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

It probably is more convenient than the print version, I always use internet dictionaries for English. (Anyone here know of any good Greek internet dictionaries?)

I haven't heard of the L&H before (but I'm new to this). My recomendation would be to get it.

How much is it BTW?

Hal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hal »

The Liddell & Scott (L&S) Lexicon is the largest english lexicon of classical greek. I have mainly been using the Intermediate edition and going to the Perseus website whenever I wanted a peek into the larger edition.

Logos is listing the CDROM for $135 US. This is a little less than Amazon is listing the print edition. I found out about the Logos version on Amazon. They provided a link to it on their description page.

Hal

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

does that price include the logos software, or do you already have that?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Hal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Hal »

I don't at present have any software by Logos. I don't see that being a requirement in order to purchase the lexicon. Anyways, I've jumped off the fence and placed an online order for it. Hopefully, will receive it in a few days.

Hal

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Hal wrote:I don't at present have any software by Logos. I don't see that being a requirement in order to purchase the lexicon. Anyways, I've jumped off the fence and placed an online order for it. Hopefully, will receive it in a few days.

Hal
I haven't looked at this one so it may be an exception... or maybe the software is included on the cd... but normally you have to have the logos software in order to use their books. It should be included though.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus