Particular Kind of Pleonasm

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Particular Kind of Pleonasm

Post by Archimedes »

I'm interested in finding other examples of pleonasms of the kind οἶκον οἰκονομεῖν or οἰκίαν οἰκονομεῖν, "to house manage the house," where the accusative direct object precedes a compound verbal form whose first element is the same as the root of the direct object. Show 'em if you got 'em along with the appropriate textual citation. Thank you in advance as always.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Particular Kind of Pleonasm

Post by Qimmik »

This is conventionally known as the "internal" accusative.

Smyth:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0007

Kuehner-Gerth's Ausfuehrliche Grammatik der Griechischen Sprache--a large number of examples are collected at Part II, vol. 1, pp. 304-5:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9tMNAA ... &q&f=false

Scroll down to the table of contents and click on section 410 to get there quickly.

These texts go on to discuss examples of accusatives with intransitive verbs where the noun is not from the same root as the verb, but is similar in meaning.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Archimedes wrote:Show 'em if you got 'em...
Such a construction is common in Hebrew and therefore in the LXX. In this verse from Jonah you also have a similar construction with the dative:
Jonah 1:16:
1:16 καὶ ἐφοβήθησαν οἱ ἄνδρες φόβῳ μεγάλῳ τὸν Κύριον καὶ ἔθυσαν θυσίαν τῷ Κυρίῳ καὶ ηὔξαντο τὰς εὐχάς.

Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Archimedes »

Thanks much for the responses. By the way, my first example comes from Smyth, 3042 f. (scroll down a bit to get there):

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... apter%3D61

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, ah OK were you just after e.g.s of the internal/cognate accusative? i was going to reply before with the grammar refs on cognate acc, but stopped because i thought you were after something quite specific, a cognate accusative with a "compound verbal form whose first element is the same as the root of the direct object"... cheers, chad

Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Archimedes »

cb wrote:i thought you were after something quite specific, a cognate accusative with a "compound verbal form whose first element is the same as the root of the direct object"... cheers, chad
That is what I am most particularly interested in finding examples of. Here's the abbreviated excerpt from Smyth:

3042. Pleonasm
f. Compound verb . . . οἶκον καλῶς οἰκονομεῖν to build a house well X. M. 4.5.10.

This could literally be rendered as "to house manage a house well," bringing out the pleonastic character more clearly.