Vocab discrepancy

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Amy
Textkit Fan

Vocab discrepancy

Post by Amy »

In ch. 10, I noticed that fugere is given as "fugo, fugere, fugi, <b>fugiturum</b>", but in both Jenney's and my dictionary (Barnum) the fourth principal part is listed as "fugitum." Is this an error?

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

everyone loves posting these errors. i'm not sure who is responsible for writing the key, but whoever did certainly put a lot of work in and no doubt the monotony of the tedious typographical task introduced discrepancies. or perhaps said typer desired a masc. acc. / neut. nom/acc. future active participle in place of the supine.
interesting either way,

~d

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Wheelock does this with several 'intransitive' verbs, for which the perfect passive participle is rare, because they still have a future active participle and you need to know the supine stem. I have never seen any form of the part fugitum, but that is not to say it doesn't exist. I have certainly seen fugio in the passive.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae