magis accusativo...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

magis accusativo...

Post by pmda »

In LLPSI Cap XXXV

Orberg (Donatus?) has:

M. 'Super' quam vim habet?

['Super' has what effect / power / meaning]

D. Ubi locum significat, magis accusativo casui servit quam ablativo; ubi mentionem alicuius facimus, ablativo tantum, ut 'multa super Priamo rogitans, super Hectore multa'* (Vergilius: Aeneis I.750).

When it means [towards a] location, it is more subject to the accusative case than the ablative ['subject to dative rather than the ablative?]; when we are making mention of something, the ablative only, such as 'asking much about Priamus, much about Hector'.

1) Is my reading / translation of locum as towards a correct?

2) is my alternative translation of magis as rather better than more? Magis seems a bit conditional whereas I would have thought that it's a pretty firm rule that you have accusative with motion towards...

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: magis accusativo...

Post by Shenoute »

1/ I'm not sure "towards" is a good rendering of super, "on/onto" seems preferable to mee. I would translate "Ubi locum significat,..." as "When it expresses location,..."

2/ "Rather" seems fine to me. "super" can be used with the ablative.

Rindu
Textkit Member

Re: magis accusativo...

Post by Rindu »

"magis...quam" means "rather than." "it is subject to the accusative rather than the ablative case."