Clarification of issues within Avellanus' Palaestra

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Clarification of issues within Avellanus' Palaestra

Post by A.A.I »

Lately, I've been looking at this book and I have some sentences or words which I'm not always sure about.

If I write about them here, perhaps some kind soul will give me some hints.

(Using the larger and later text: https://archive.org/details/palaestrabeingpr12avel)

1. exercitium scribendi 7 (page 7)

"Nonne est etiam punctum quod non est rotundum, estne etiam circulus talis qui rotundus non est?"

Should this mean something like:
"Isn't there also a point which isn't round, isn't there also a circle such that isn't round?"

Sounds odd to me to run them together. But the 'talis qui' doesn't make sense from what I've learned so far. I expected 'talis qualis'. Perhaps it was a mistake with 'qui, quae, quod' in mind?

3.1 (page 18, second paragraph):

"Estne tenuis ibi ubi est crassa?"

Perhaps: "Is there 'a thin one' there where (there) is 'a thick one'?"

That ibi + ubi isn't getting through to me yet. (I'm a beginner, please go easy on me! haha)

Just those 2 questions for the moment. There will be more. Thanks everyone.

A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Clarification of issues within Avellanus' Palaestra

Post by A.A.I »

Anyone? Have I missed something in writing up the first post?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

estne etiam circulus talis qui rotundus non est? "is there also such a circle that isn't round?

This seems strange to me, too, and I would have thought sit, not est.

"Estne tenuis ibi ubi est crassa?" This must mean: Is it [the line] thin there where [ibi ubi, i.e., 'at the place where'] it's thick? The answer obviously being no. But I have to say it's an odd question.

A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Post by A.A.I »

The book displays those objects (groups of points, squares, circles, lines, etc) and then asks questions and makes statement about them. I think 'est' is used because it's asking about those specific ones. But perhaps 'est' is still quite ok for a general statement/question?

For the second one, I think you're right there. The question is perhaps a little odd but we can learn a lot from asking silly or strange questions. They're trying to reinforce the opposite power of those words. Something like: "Is the tall man short? No! That which is tall can't also be short!"

Thanks for the help, Qimmik. Much appreciated.