D'ooge, Caesar and a decision

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
renaissancemedici
Textkit Neophyte

D'ooge, Caesar and a decision

Post by renaissancemedici »

I decided to start with latin as well as greek (and everything else...) and after a lot of reading I ended up with this combination:

D'Ooge + Orbis pictus + grammar/syntax books for help. But basically I'll follow D'Ooge.

I remember a teacher telling us at school that Caesar's style was not very admired in his time, because he didn't use all the frills and sophisticated language of other amazing writers. Today we think differently but my question is, have you ever heard that sort of thing or do I remember wrong?

Anyway, if I am going to deal with latin, I don't mind Caesar's style at all. I read plenty about D'ooge on this site, but any other general comments are more that welcome!

Πολλ' οίδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἐχῖνος δέ έν, μέγα.
Αρχίλοχος

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: D'ooge, Caesar and a decision

Post by Qimmik »

I'm not sure that Caesar's style was looked on with disfavor in his time. His style, in Latin, exemplifies "Atticism," a reaction that set in in the 1st century BCE against the more florid, bombastic "Asiatic" style that was prevalent in Greek rhetorical writing in the preceding century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiatic_style
Last edited by Qimmik on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renaissancemedici
Textkit Neophyte

Post by renaissancemedici »

Thank you for the answer. I like how there is always some connection between the two languages, one way or another.
Πολλ' οίδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἐχῖνος δέ έν, μέγα.
Αρχίλοχος

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Should have been "1st century BCE." I corrected it.