Orbis pictus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
renaissancemedici
Textkit Neophyte

Orbis pictus

Post by renaissancemedici »

Any reviews or comments on Orbis pictus by Comenius?

It doesn't seem to help with grammar, so which other manual (from the ones textkit or the Internet Archive offer) would you suggest as a helpful read?

Thank you :)
Πολλ' οίδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἐχῖνος δέ έν, μέγα.
Αρχίλοχος

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Orbis pictus

Post by bedwere »

I got this review through Wikipedia page about Orbis Pictus: Learning from Comenius

renaissancemedici
Textkit Neophyte

Thank you! That review was very nice to read.

Last night I read the introduction, and I understand one is encouraged to use a grammar together with Orbis, or rudiments as they are called in the book. The method works a bit like assimil, with pictures :)

I was very impressed by what 7 year olds would learn those days in terms of latin. Of course, today they also start a foreign language at the same age, but do they learn so much vocabulary on the first year?

Very nice starting book, for conversational purposes, it really gives you a good vocabulary.
Αρχίλοχος

ivanus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ivanus »

I find the Orbis Pictus fascinating for the cultural commentary and insight into the age. It's a vocabulary builder by that is really an introduction to a view of the world of 17th century Protestant Europe (probably depending on edition). It is well worth the time to download the PDF from Google and explore it. It has an overview of trades and industry, a bit of philosophy, astronomy, social customs, medicine, military arts, and other religions. I've had to open it up and lost a good 15 minutes just perusing it for this post.

renaissancemedici
Textkit Neophyte

Same here :D
Αρχίλοχος