Hagel's Song of Demodokos

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Hagel's Song of Demodokos

Post by Paul Derouda »

I spent a while today listening to Stefan Hagel's great Homer performance reconstruction. Hagel introduces an extra introductory verse at the beginning and I can't get the exact words, and that has bothered me a long time already. He begins with words ἄρχεο Μοῦσα and there's something like ἀθανάτοισι later on. Has anyone else got the rest?

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Hagel's Song of Demodokos

Post by Paul Derouda »

Apparently the Realplayer version is different from the wav/mp3 version, which appears to be

ἄρχεο Μοῦσα γ᾽ ἔρωτος ὃς ἀθανάτοισιν ἐτύχθη

I still don't get the Realplayer version.

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, i actually was speaking to stefan hagel about reconstructed pronunciation about 10 yrs ago (discussing our models for showing the pitch and length) and i asked him this very question. see my 2003 post on this which gives his response and the extra line at the beginning of the realplayer version (scroll to the bottom):

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=728

cheers, chad

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

PS whenever i've had questions like this about work by some well-known classicist, e.g. stefan hagel, martin west etc, whenever i've reached out to them they've always been kind enough to reply, even though i have no formal link to the classics world (taught myself)… worth trying, you can often find out really interesting stuff this way not covered in the books they've put out, and it just goes to show how in the classics people are in my experience always more than willing to help out others who have the same obsession... cheers, chad

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

Oops, I accidently answered that other 10 year old thread rather than this one. Anyway, thank you!