Textkit Logo

Family 35 (Kr) printing soon!

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Family 35 (Kr) printing soon!

Postby uberdwayne » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:42 am

Some great news, especially those who favor the byzantine manuscripts (as I do!):

I've been working with Dr. Wilbur Pickering to prepare his Greek text for printing as it appears in Family 35 (aka kr), hence my lack of recent posting, and if everything goes as planned, it will hopefully be available as a printed edition on Amazon by the end of this spring! It will also include a full apparatus that compares the text of many published editions as well as the great Uncials. This is truly, an indispensable work (regardless of textual preference) and I'm excited to see it come to print. :)

In the interim, Dr. Pickering will, very shortly, be publishing his Greek text as seen on his website (letter size format, and without accents) until the current work is completed.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Re: Family 35 (Kr) printing soon!

Postby Markos » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 am

It appears it is now out.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0989827321/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Dwayne, I assume you have a copy. What is the font size? What is the binding like? How much does it depart from R.P.?
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Postby uberdwayne » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:51 am

Χαιρε Μαρκε, φιλε μου!

It appears it is now out.

It is but it isn't, lol, the one that is out now is the preliminary printing, that is, essentially the "as is" PDF that is available at http://www.walkinhiscommandments.com/pickering2.htm. It does not have accents and is printed in 8.5 x 11. It is a Perfect bound soft cover book with what looks like 10pt font. The apparatus is very thorough!

I'm still working on proofreading and accenting with Mark, Luke, and John still to go. I'm hoping to be finished with the project by late spring (still have to add the apparatus to the entire NT), at which point the updated copy will have full accents and will be printed in a 6 x 9 book.

CSPMT ( http://www.cspmt.org ) has just recently opened a discussion forum, so if you have any further questions about f35, they would be answered there :)

As far as your question goes, There are about 1000 variants between RP and f35 http://www.cspmt.org/pdf/collations/RP%20]%20Kr_fam.%2035.pdf. Most noteably the PA which has the M7 profile for F35 (instead of m5) and the Kr text base instead of Kx.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Postby Markos » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi Dwayne,

You guys might use this opportunity of printing a New Greek NT to fill one of the needs I feel we have had for a while. I'd like to see:

1. A giant print Greek New Testament. Why not a 24 point font?

2. We need a Byzantine type text printed on opposite pages with an Alexandrian type text. N.A. would probably not allow you to do this, but you could print Pickering's new text opposite Westcott Hort, which is in public domain. The way we are forced to compare the two text types now, in the standard printed versions, namely by looking at lower apparati, is annoying and it is hard to get a full picture of the differences.

3. It would be nice to see Pickering's new text printed on opposite pages to the King James Version or the New King James version. I myself no longer have need of a diglot, but I am just crazy about the KJV.

4. Print the new edition with a soft, fake leather flexible cover and light weight paper like you have in Zondervan's Reader's GNT. I love that book because it feels so good in your hand and you can fold it like a magazine and put it in your back pocket.

How much control do you have over the project? Any chance you could get some of these options produced?
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Postby uberdwayne » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi Markos,

You bring up some very interesting points, some that I would like to see, however, I am only the ‘editor’ and ‘formatter.’ Dr. Pickering is the one who spent years determining the text of F35 (Kr) and has the final say over the project. As of now, he wants his text available with full accentuation and 6 x 9 format. It will be a soft cover book as to keep down the costs of printing, and the page count will determine the size of the font. So far it is 11 pt. It may be adjusted either way once the apparatus is added.

Perhaps some day in the future these ideas could be implemented with permission :) (I especially like #3 and #4).
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek