My Name in Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bryn
Textkit Neophyte

My Name in Greek

Post by Bryn »

Hi all.

Would like your help to give me my name in Greek.

Bryn Jones

I don't know how to get Greek letters to type but I understand my first name should look like this?

Mnpuv

N being the letter that looks like the pie sign.

Am I correct??

Please help.

Thank you

Bryn

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: My Name in Greek

Post by Qimmik »

In modern Greek it could be transcribed as Mπρυν or Mπριν. In ancient Greek Βpιv would be closer.

In ancient Greek, at least in the classical period (until, say 323 BC), the letter beta, Β, would have been pronounced like English "B," but sound changes during the Roman period transformed the pronunciation to something like English "V," and in modern Greek, the only way to represent the sound of the English letter B is "Mπ."

In classical Greek, the letter upsilon, Υ υ was pronounced first like English u (or to be more precise, like French ou), then later like French u. In the Roman period the pronunciation changed to a sound similar to French i, and remained that way down to modern Greek.

renaissancemedici
Textkit Neophyte

Re: My Name in Greek

Post by renaissancemedici »

How about Βρυέννιος? It was a byzantine last name actually, but it is close enough.

In fact you could turn things around and call yourself

Ιωάννης Βρυέννιος

Ίων Βρυέννιος

or simply Ίων, that sounds a bit like your last name.
Πολλ' οίδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἐχῖνος δέ έν, μέγα.
Αρχίλοχος