Latin Tenses and Moods in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Latin Tenses and Moods in Latin

Post by pster »

Does anybody know of a Latin book that actually uses Latin words for the tenses and moods?

In particular, the terms:

Present
Imperfect
Future
Perfect
Pluperfect
Future Perfect

Imperative

Indicative
Subjunctive

Active
Passive

pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin Tenses and Moods in Latin

Post by pster »

I found something online, but it is not complete.

How would you translate:

Present Active Imperfect

?

I guess those would all be adjectives with Tense as the understood substantive?

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Not willing to rely on my faulty memory and steer you wrong since I honestly can't say I've studied this in depth, as I said I'm much more at home in Greek but: Samantha Schad - A Lexicon of Latin Grammatical Terminology.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

John Traupmann, Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency, Ch. xxv: Grammar, pp.218-247.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

adrianus wrote:John Traupmann, Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency, Ch. xxv: Grammar, pp.218-247.

Thanks, perfect!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Libenter // You're welcome
pster wrote:How would you translate:

Present Active Imperfect

?

I guess those would all be adjectives with Tense as the understood substantive?
Verbs have tense, mood, voice, and caseless person = verbum est pars orationis cum tempore atque modo et voce personâque sine casu.

Tempus praesens imperfectum modo indicativo vocis activae ["generis activi" pro "vocis activae" secundum Traupmann at ego "vocis activae" praefero]--primae vel secundae vel tertiae personae pluraliter vel singulariter [vel numeri pluralis vel singularis]
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

That is more words than I want. Here is what I want. Suppose you were to set up an appendix in your own Latin book, and suppose one table was titled "Perfect Indicative Active". Now what would that be in Latin? Actually, I don't need the Latin. I can figure it out if I could figure out what the parts of speech are for "Perfect", "Indicative", and "Active" and what if anything they are modifying. I suggested in this table in this appendix that they would be three adjectives modifying an implied noun "Tense", but I'm not sure. Another possibility, as you are suggesting, is that they would all be adjectives but modifying different implied nouns; but as those different implied nouns have different genders, the adjectives would all have different genders despite standing side by side. Just imagine I am writing a Latin grammar book in Latin.

Gnarly and pedantic, but I actually need to know!

Thanks

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

Couldn't we just regard them as three adjectives modifying "Conjugation"?

[Conjugātio] Fŭtūra Indicātīva Actīva

How does that look for an appendix table title? The bracketed word would not appear.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

pster wrote:That is more words than I want. Here is what I want. Suppose you were to set up an appendix in your own Latin book, and suppose one table was titled "Perfect Indicative Active".
Modern English speakers will understand "Perfectum indicativum activum" for "Perfect Indicative Active Tense". Strictly I don't think that's wonderful but it's used, I believe. You need more words, I think, for a pure latin, but that's just an opinion.
Ei qui anglicè loquuntur sic vertant "[Tempus] Perfectum indicativum activum [tempus]" vel modernè dicitur at, nisi fallor, latina langua pura ampliùs requirit: Perfectum Tempus Indicativus Modus Activa Vox.

Conjugatio [vel declinatio et verbis et nominibus pro conjugationis vocabulo ] = prima, secunda, tertia, quarta.

Anthony Appleyard
Textkit Member

Post by Anthony Appleyard »

As verbum = "word", what is the Latin for "verb", to distinguish from other sorts of word?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

verbum = anglicè et verb et word
vocabulum = anglicè word at non verb