Textkit Logo

New OCT Herodotus and speculation

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

New OCT Herodotus and speculation

Postby Qimmik » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:13 am

The introduction to Simon Hornblower's Cambridge Green & Yellow series edition of Herodotus Book V just arrived. I see from the Preface that Nigel Wilson is working on a new OCT Herodotus. I wonder whether a new Thucydides is in the works, too. OUP sales have featured the first volumes of both Herodotus and Thucydides--are they trying to reduce stock? And why are they selling LSJ at such a ridiculously low price?
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: New OCT Herodotus and speculation

Postby Paul Derouda » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:18 am

I have heard a rumour that there's a new edition of LSJ coming, which will only be available in electrical form.
Paul Derouda
Textkit Zealot

Re: New OCT Herodotus and speculation

Postby John W. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 am

There's certainly a need for a new OCT of Thucydides - despite its stll extensive use, the current OCT leaves a number of passages in a very unsatisfactory state, which is one reason why I switched to using Alberti for my translation. More generally, there has been over a century of textual and other Thucydidean scholarship since the OCT was first published, which really does need to be taken into account in a new text.

Best wishes,

John
John W.
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Greek