New OCT Herodotus and speculation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

New OCT Herodotus and speculation

Post by Qimmik »

The introduction to Simon Hornblower's Cambridge Green & Yellow series edition of Herodotus Book V just arrived. I see from the Preface that Nigel Wilson is working on a new OCT Herodotus. I wonder whether a new Thucydides is in the works, too. OUP sales have featured the first volumes of both Herodotus and Thucydides--are they trying to reduce stock? And why are they selling LSJ at such a ridiculously low price?

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: New OCT Herodotus and speculation

Post by Paul Derouda »

I have heard a rumour that there's a new edition of LSJ coming, which will only be available in electrical form.

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: New OCT Herodotus and speculation

Post by John W. »

There's certainly a need for a new OCT of Thucydides - despite its stll extensive use, the current OCT leaves a number of passages in a very unsatisfactory state, which is one reason why I switched to using Alberti for my translation. More generally, there has been over a century of textual and other Thucydidean scholarship since the OCT was first published, which really does need to be taken into account in a new text.

Best wishes,

John