Explanation of Adjectives!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Hamzanama
Textkit Neophyte

Explanation of Adjectives!

Post by Hamzanama »

Salvay!
So I reached the part about adjectives and I am a little confused in the sense I do not get what adjective corresponds to what word.
So Puella est parva is pretty clear you get it. But with attributive adjectives I do not understand which noun is being praised or insulted or you get it.
So Quid filia tua parva portat means What does your little daughter carry?
But I think it could mean Youre little, what does your daughter carry. So is there any way to determine which noun parva is being used for.
Thank you, H.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Explanation of Adjectives!

Post by Qimmik »

But I think it could mean Youre little, what does your daughter carry.
No, it can't mean that. To mean that it would have to be "quid filia tu [not tua] parva fert?" with tu parva interpreted as a parenthetical insult or as a vocative, "you little female person," in a very odd context. But that would stretch Latin's generous capacity for hyberaton. And don't expect Latin, or any other natural language, to be perfectly unambiguous.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Explanation of Adjectives!

Post by adrianus »

Sic significari potest, ut opinor, modo angustissimo solo. Si ego conjector tuam palmam parvam legas et rugas filias palmae manûs poeticè vocem, forsit sic dicam: ô tua parva [manus vel palma subaudita], quid filia portat [vel praesagit] ? Alienior autem est talis sententia, ut dicit Qimmik.

I think it could mean that, but only in the most narrow way. If I were reading your palm and it was tiny and I chose to liken its creases to the daughters of your hand or palm, since the latin word for creases or lines in the hand is feminine, maybe I could say in a poetic way, "O your tiny one [hand or palm], what does the daughter [i.e., that line on it] carry [or bring,—as in portend]?" Altogether strange, as Qimmik says.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.