Textkit Logo

Digital dictionaries: Forcellini

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Digital dictionaries: Forcellini

Postby Godmy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:27 pm

(A resource), edit 2.8.2014

Hello, some months I ago I finished this project http://lexica.linguax.com/ ( http://www.linguax.com/lexica ) (has been edited 28.1.2014) where I pretty much make from PDF Latin dictionaries (such as a scanned version of Forcellini: Lexicon Totius Latinitatis) a version where you can search by typing on your keyboard: after writing a word, the page the word is in appears.

It is better than having some low quality OCR (an automatic transcription) and also better than to have just a PDF you cannot really search in - a compromise.

There are also some Latin-Greek and Greek-Latin dictionaries (ancient Greek). And I'm planning to add more.
Last edited by Godmy on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Digital dictionaries: Forcellini

Postby cb » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:23 am

this is really cool, i'm going to be using this all the time, thanks!!!
cb
Textkit Fan

Postby Godmy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:23 am

I thank you ;)

I'll let you know when other dictionaries are added!

(Also you can switch from a dictionary to dictionary via the left top corner, but you have figured that out probably.)
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby ivanus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:26 pm

I really like your solution to making these texts accessible. Indexing the pages is an elegant way to make the text available when it's impossible to OCR and is far too much to reasonably transcribe.

It's a very clever compromise.
ivanus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Godmy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:38 pm

I must admit that it wasn't originally my idea and some (maybe a bit complicated) pdf-reader based solution existed, but I'm the author of this implementation :P
Last edited by Godmy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Interaxus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:26 pm

Marvellous! I love being able to switch dictionaries on the fly.

My very first search turned up a curiosity: Valpy has no entry for 'occurro'. I wonder why?

Cheers,
Int
Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Interaxus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:01 am

The second word I searched for was 'necopinatus' (unexpected, unforeseen). Only Forcellini had that one. Whitaker's Words has it too. It suddenly struck me: why not add Whitaker's Words to the top left-hand corner? Then we'd have a parser as well. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Int
Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Godmy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Interesting idea about the Whitaker... my problem is the space if I want to keep the page clean. By that I mean that I don't want to face the problem that a considerable part of the page is just "this text spam" and not the relevant information searched. Right now it is quite usable even on 1024*768 (I don't recommend any lower resolution and if you use a mobile phone browser... well, you'll have to deal with it somehow :D I access it sometimes (not often) on my phone, so I know).

I'm thinking about more dictionaries, but mostly I'm afraid that the public won't see the results as most of the dictionaries I have in mind or are already processed, are still copyrighted, therefore not available. (but I would rather use a PM for this kind of conversation)
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Godmy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:15 am

I am sorry for the website not running today. Nothing wrong on my side: the site appears to be in the best shape (from its control panel), but in the reality the server is not responding. I am trying to contact the provider, but it seems that they have cut support for free-users... but I am trying nevertheless.

I also may come to some other permanent solutions...

I will let you know.
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Godmy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:36 pm

So I have bought a paid hosting, now I'm reuploading the dictionaries (which will take me maybe all the rest of this day).

Maybe I'll be asking then for the donations more loudly, since the costs for the website has just become real...

I'll let you know when it is done and give you a new address.
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Godmy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:18 pm

The old website is working now, but once I'll get the new hosting running, I will shut it down.
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Godmy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 pm

- So the website is moved to a new hosting and I have now my own domain!

http://www.linguax.com/lexica (or http://linguax.com/lexica )

(Linguax,acis is a rare adjective used once by Gellius meaning the same as loquax,acis <- but that was unfortunately taken together with most of Latin words in their canonical form <- and it is short)

It will cost me around 82 USD / year (the domain and the hosting) so I will be glad for any donation. There is a donation bar in the dictionaries (it will disappear once it is filled) for the next year costs. (this year has been pretty much all payed by one generous donor, even though very many few donated).

In the case I couldn't keep it running solely on donations, I might think of advertisements... or some other annoying solutions.

The users from the old address will get redirected.

The server is now situated in Netherlands (the old is/was in Pennsylvania), so the users from Europe (as myself) might be happier now. But it should be faster in total, so all users, no matter the place, should get the pages faster (unless they have naturally a very slow Internet connection... but even with that maybe).

(I simultaneously moved my older project to http://www.linguax.com in case you wondered why the "/lexica" is there)
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Godmy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:26 pm

- Keys Z and X (or Y and X), can be used now to go to the previous or next page.
- Use TAB to type a new word
- Use arrow keys for easier orientation on the page/the picture
- Use ENTER instead of hitting OK
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby aochagavia » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Hello Godmy!

I came across your website and I liked it so much! You have done a wonderful job! The only "problem" I see is that it requires internet access.

I would love to create a desktop application to be able to use the dictionaries offline. In order to do this I would need to recreate the database in my computer, which implies going through every single page and notating the top-left word of it. Since this is a lot of work, I want to ask you if you would be willing to send me this information (the word index database). For the images I can write a script to download them automatically, so that is not a big problem.

Please post here your answer or send me an email to aochagavia92 [at] gmail [dot] com

Thanks in advance!
Adolfo.
aochagavia
Textkit Neophyte

Postby thesaurus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Great resource!

I had talked on this forum about scanning/OCR the Forcellini books back in 2008, but it was a daunting project and I never got it off the ground.

Glad to see that you've made this resource more widely available.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Godmy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:55 am

Since today you can use simply http://lexica.linguax.com (the old one will work nevertheless http://linguax.com/lexica <- it links to the same place).
Maybe some day I will rearrange my projects and use the main domain for the dictionary http://linguax.com which now hosts an older project of mine.

aochagavia: Downloading the images directly from the website would be a problem since there is some traffic which costs something (please do not attempt it) :) But we would find a way. I may contact you in the future, once I have more time

thesaurus: I'm glad you like it. Actually there might be soon a purely digital version :) You will hear more from me about it.
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin