Declining Greek words in English text

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Declining Greek words in English text

Post by Lavrentivs »

Does anyone know of an older text where this is practiced? I mean an English text that utilizes this πρᾶξιν. Please tell me about the newest ones you know. Thanks.

I’d also be interested to know if any of you still do this; it seems to me to be the only really satisfying thing to do, even though finding out the cases governed by præpositions can be less than straightforward.

daivid
Administrator

Re: Declining Greek words in English text

Post by daivid »

Lavrentivs wrote:Does anyone know of an older text where this is practiced? I mean an English text that utilizes this πρᾶξιν. Please tell me about the newest ones you know. Thanks.

I’d also be interested to know if any of you still do this; it seems to me to be the only really satisfying thing to do, even though finding out the cases governed by præpositions can be less than straightforward.
My feeling is that if I am using a Greek word in English then I should treat it as an English word and hence I usually try to give such words English plurals even where people around me tend to use a Greek plural.

To me a borrowed word becomes a word of its new language and as such should obey the grammar laws of its newly adopted language. And just think of the mess that would be created if English words borrowed by an inflected language insisted in not declining! :cry:
λονδον

Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Re: Declining Greek words in English text

Post by Lavrentivs »

I hear declinging is still the common practice in Italian. Probably more a matter of style than susceptible to argument.