οὐ μὴν ἀλλά, not but what

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

οὐ μὴν ἀλλά, not but what

Post by Lavrentivs »

It seems that these expressions are literally æquivalent: ‘nothing else is the case but that …’

But for the English expression I have found almost no literary evidence, except for maybe a quote in the OED. Are Englishmen familiar with this?

Victor
Textkit Fan

Re: οὐ μὴν ἀλλά, not but what

Post by Victor »

Lavrentivs wrote:But for the English expression I have found almost no literary evidence, except for maybe a quote in the OED. Are Englishmen familiar with this?
You'll find "not but what" is common enough in pre-20th century English literature.

Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Post by Lavrentivs »

Thanks. What about 'not but (that)'? simply a variant or is there a nuance or historic difference?

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

Lavrentivs wrote:Thanks. What about 'not but (that)'? simply a variant or is there a nuance or historic difference?
Fowler, in his Modern English Usage, tells us that "but that" is literary and "but what" is colloquial. Presumably the same distinction applies to "not but that" and "not but what"; if so, there is a subtle difference in register between the two, but not much else.

Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Post by Lavrentivs »

I hadn’t thought to look in Fowler. Thanks.