Searchable classic Greek dictionary download

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
ittiandro
Textkit Neophyte

Searchable classic Greek dictionary download

Post by ittiandro »

Hi !
I have an Android pad on which I have installed most of the Loeb Classics. I wonder if there is a searchable offline ancient Greek dictionary I can download. I already have access to the online LSJ Greek dictionary when I read Greek off the desktop, but it would be handy to have one available for my tablet when the Internet connection is not available. It seems a very difficult endeavior to find one. Any suggestions?
By the way, I have a multilingual keyboard on my Android tablet, but it must be for modern Greek, because all the special diacritic characters of ancient Greek are missing. I guess this could be a problem , if I want to use a searchable ancient Greek dictionary, unless I can search with UNICODE.
I had found a polytonic Greek keyboard which according to the description , seemed to have all those diacritic signs, but when I downloaded it and tried to install it, I was unable to. I kept getting a message that there was already a package with the same name but a different signature (?) . I don't know what the problem was, because that was my first Greek keyboard I was trying to install. If there already was another one( maybe from a previous attempt) , I should have been able to see it, but there was none. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ittiandro
Montreal

Godmy
Textkit Member

Re: Searchable classic Greek dictionary download

Post by Godmy »

Not for download, but I may make some classical Greek dictionary available in a searchable form in my site, which will be then 'public' unless there is a problem with copyrights. The bad thing is that I have to attend these days too many other things.

There are already Latin-Greek and Greek-Latin dictionaries you might like.
Latin IRC chat: http://textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/vi ... =3&t=62017
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Although I have the 1996 dead tree edition of LSJ and Diogenes and Perseus is ready when I'm online, I downloaded a seventh edition of LSJ from Internet Archive on my android phone. Although not searchable, it would be useful when I'm totally offline. I had put some bookmarks for the starting alphabets(I use EBook Droid as the reader.) for conveniency's sake. I'd like to add more detailed bookmarks, but that would be a tedious job, and it would be harder to browse the bookmarks itself.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

How do you add bookmarks to pdfs without owning that very expensive Acrobat software?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I had downloaded djvu file instead of pdf.
And without regard to the file format, EbookDroid keeps bookmarks for each ebook it loads, not in the file itself but maybe in a separate db.