Book-holder-opener?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Book-holder-opener?

Post by Helikwps »

It occurs to me some of you might have dealt with this particular hassle: When sitting at a table reading a Greek text, with Perseus on computer taking up space and three or four commentaries etc open and near at hand, how do you keep all those volumes open and pages visible (not hidden under paperweights)? Butterfly clips, lead ingots? None of my paperbacks fall open on their own, and just turning a page is a major operation. From the sublime to the ridiculous -- replies greatly appreciated!
Tim

Victor
Textkit Fan

Re: Book-holder-opener?

Post by Victor »

I try to avoid buying adhesive-bound books wherever possible, particularly if they are for reference, though even some section-sewn bindings can be difficult to open flat if the grain direction of the paper is not aligned vertically with the spine.
I never peep into a paperback; I open it right out and if necessary break the thick layer of glue on the spine. If the book consequently disintegrates into single sheets I either demand a replacement copy from the retailer I bought it from or, if I'm going to use the book much, I re-bind it so that it opens flat.
I've returned a fair few books to retailers under similar circumstances. None has ever denied me either a full refund or a replacement copy even as long as 6 months after purchase.

A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Post by A.A.I »

I sometimes use a small music stand. Take the book off and turn the page, place it back. Turning while in the vicinity of clips and whatever might stop you and tear pages. We don't want that...

pster
Textkit Zealot

Post by pster »

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ailuros »

that's a great collection of book holders. I have many of the same issues as helikwps. i sit in a recliner surrounded by books and seem to spend most of my time reaching for/preventing the avalanche of/holding thumbs, fingers, or elbows in, ever-changing stacks of books, some closed, some open across my knee. Even more troubling: I'm just too lazy to move to a table like a normal person. Dan

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Thanks so much for the replies and I'm sorry to not answer sooner. Victor your experience on this is similar to mine and I never considered the possibility of re-binding, that's brilliant. AND never knew that grain direction on paper mattered for a book to fall open. I'll seriously consider the bindry option for my more essential paperbacks in the future and thanks.

Google images -- why don't I ever think of it? Thanks much Peter, those look great! And thanks A.A.I. for the music stand suggestion, I can get that today. Ailuros I made the move to our round kitchen table and now sometimes find myself rotating the whole thing to deal with reference & commentary overflow. Am considering papyrus rolls in jars.

Thanks again folks, it's much appreciated.