Help with Isaeus 6

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Detroitgreek
Textkit Neophyte

Help with Isaeus 6

Post by Detroitgreek »

Hello everyone, longtime lurker first time poster.

I am getting ready for my finals and in preparation have been working on Isaeus 6 "On the estate of Philoctemon". In my studies I noticed something strange in section 41

[41] εἰσελθοῦσαι δὲ κατέλαβον ἐκεῖνον μὲν ἔνδον ἔνδον κείμενον δευτεραῖον, ὡς ἔφασαν οἱ οἰκέται, τὰ δ᾽ ἐκ τῆς οἰκίας ἅπαντα ἐκπεφορημένα ὑπὸ τούτων. αἱ μὲν οὖν γυναῖκες, οἷον εἰκός, περὶ τὸν τετελευτηκότα ἦσαν: οὗτοι δὲ τοῖς ἀκολουθήσασι παραχρῆμα ἐπεδείκνυσαν τὰ ἔνδον ὡς εἶχε, καὶ τοὺς οἰκέτας πρῶτον ἠρώτων ἐναντίον τούτων ὅποι1 τετραμμένα εἴη τὰ χρήματα.

Now granted I've only been studying Greek for three years and this is my first Isaeus speech, but the repetition of ενδον ενδον just seems weird to me. I can't recall a single time I've seen Greek do this. Any ideas?

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help with Isaeus 6

Post by mwh »

Probably too late to help, but I'm sorry no-one picked up on this--your first post and all. I've only just spotted it.

The doubled endon is so weird as to be incredible. Could it be a typo or a printer's error?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

The double ἔνδον seems to be in the Loeb edition, which is reproduced in the Perseus Project collection of Greek texts:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ction%3D41

The English translation doesn't seem to reflect two ἔνδον's (or should it be two ἔνδω?). You can reach the English translation by clicking on the "Focus" link at the upper right.

Thalheim's 1903 Teubner edition has just one ἔνδον, and no indication in the critical apparatus that there might be two.

So it seems likely that the second ἔνδον is just an error.

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

The double ἔνδον certainly appears awkward, but isn't the thinking behind it that the first is to be taken closely with κατέλαβον and the second with κείμενον δευτεραῖον, ὡς ἔφασαν οἱ οἰκέται? The sense being "Entering they found him inside, [and he had been] lying inside for two days, according to the slaves..."

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

The Wyse edition (1904) also prints a single ἔνδον, without a critical note or annotation indicating two ἔνδον's in any mss.; there doesn't appear to be a critical note in the Loeb (as reproduced in Perseus) indicating that the second ἔνδον doesn't appear in some mss.; and the Loeb translation doesn't reflect a second ἔνδον, either. So I think this must be a typo.