Latin Words for Modern Thing

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Drusus Maximus
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Words for Modern Thing

Post by Drusus Maximus »

Salvete,

As I learn Latin and, more importantly, as I learn to SPEAK Latin I find myself needing to refer to modern things. I look them up and usually find one or more ways to express these modern concepts. I then try to break these words down. Examples would be Raeda (car / cart), Radiophonia (Radio), Telephonum gestabile (mobile phone), or Birota (bicycle / two wheels). Most of the time they make sense.

It was suggested that Telehorasis should be used for Television...would people here agree with this? Could someone explain how Telehorasis = Television

Wouldn't Televisio be better?

Gratias

Lord_WayneY
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin Words for Modern Thing

Post by Lord_WayneY »

I agree with Televisio. I heard that Vatican had published a dictionary of Latin in 2003 with a lot of modern words. And in that dictionary, the Série TV was translated to "fabula televisifica", so I think Televisio would be better to the Latin translation of Television than Telehorasis.
Civis Sinensis.
I am here not only to learn Latin, but also English.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Telehorasis is the Modern Greek word for television.

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

Presumably the second element in the Modern Greek is derived from ὁράω.
I'd say use whatever combination you feel happy with; there are no hard and fast rules about what goes in neo-Latin.
I think the words of Charles Scott of the Manchester Guardian should be given an airing here. Asked, in 1921, his opinion on this new-fangled picture box, he famously replied: "Television? The word is half Latin and half Greek. No good can come of it." I think it's fair to say that history has shown he was both learned and prophetic.

Sinister Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sinister Petrus »

If you can get a hold of Stephen Berard's Vita Nostra, you'll be well armed with vocabulary for day-to-day things modern or otherwise. He's in the midst of revising it, but once it's ready (probably sometime this summer) it will be worth what price he puts on it.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Perbonus hic fons: http://facweb.furman.edu/~dmorgan/lexicon/silva.htm
et John Traupmann, Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency (2006)
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Note that Lexicon Recentis Latinitatis is Italian-Latin, not English-Latin, if it makes a difference.
I don't have Imaginum Vocabularium Latinum. It looks very good. I'll think I'll get it, based on your images, Bedwere.
Italicum (non Anglicum) Lexicon in Latinum est Lexicon Recentis Latinitatis, si id tibi refert.
Istum librum, Imaginum Vocabularium Latinum, non habeo. Is bonus mihi videtur, ratione paginarum quas monstras, Bedwere. Forsit eum parabo.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.