Greek to GCSE §8.9 #8

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Greek to GCSE §8.9 #8

Post by jaihare »

If anyone else is using this textbook...

In exercise 8.9, we are presented with the following sentence:

8. τίς εἶδε τὴν τὸν χρυσὸν δεξαμένην;

I've got no problem with the sentence, of course. It terminates in an aorist middle participle. No issue.

The only problem that I see is that he hasn't introduced aorist participles in the text yet. He has just now introduced the aorist middle indicative in this very chapter. Am I right in assuming that this is an oversight?

Thanks,
JH

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: Greek to GCSE §8.9 #8

Post by jaihare »

Well, I guess this topic wasn't very interesting. :)

However, I do have a question about the first sentence in this set of exercises. It reads:

ἐδεξάμεθα ἐκεῖνον τὸν αἰχμάλωτον ὡς φίλον γενόμενον.

How should I understand the ὡς in this sentence? Should I take it causally in this case? "since he became a friend [of ours]"?

Thanks,
JH

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Oh, and I found the small note he made on aorist middle participles here:
participle παυσάμενος, -η, -ον having ceased
It's on the bottom of page 40, and that's really all he has to say about the aorist middle participle! LOL

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

jaihare wrote:If anyone else is using this textbook...

In exercise 8.9, we are presented with the following sentence:

8. τίς εἶδε τὴν τὸν χρυσὸν δεξαμένην;

I've got no problem with the sentence, of course. It terminates in an aorist middle participle. No issue.

The only problem that I see is that he hasn't introduced aorist participles in the text yet. He has just now introduced the aorist middle indicative in this very chapter. Am I right in assuming that this is an oversight?

Thanks,
JH
Actually, I think Taylor thinks he has. At the bottom of page 40 you will see παυσάμενος -η-ον. Yup, blink and you will miss it. That does tend to be the weakness of Taylor's books. Early on his explanations and exercises cover the topics well but later on he skimps.

I do wonder if it comes of teaching in a school where the less able students will drop subjects if they have no prospect of getting a good grade at so as to concentrate on subjects where they are more able. Hence later on Taylor will find himself teaching only those gifted at Greek.

Adults like us tend not to give up so easily.

EDIT
Oh, I see you've already spotted that - next time I will try and be less slow about replying.
Last edited by daivid on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
λονδον

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

jaihare wrote:Well, I guess this topic wasn't very interesting. :)

However, I do have a question about the first sentence in this set of exercises. It reads:

ἐδεξάμεθα ἐκεῖνον τὸν αἰχμάλωτον ὡς φίλον γενόμενον.

How should I understand the ὡς in this sentence? Should I take it causally in this case? "since he became a friend [of ours]"?

Thanks,
JH
Taylor's key gives:
We received that prisoner as he had become a friend.
Hence you are correct in that ὡς is causal. The phrase is, of course, not simply causal but implying that the process of "becoming a friend" had been completed before the receiving happens.
λονδον

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Thanks, Daivid.

I have the key, of course, but I prefer to consult it only after I finish the chapter - to compare my work but not rely on it.

These chapters are stinking long, by the way! :)

Jason