Skype?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Skype?

Post by uberdwayne »

Would anybody be interested to skype? I think it would be a great way to gain some measure of fluency as well as a common vocabulary.

τι νομιζετε;
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ

Vladimir
Textkit Member

Re: Skype?

Post by Vladimir »

Πῶς γὰρ οὔ; :)

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Ditto! Or better yet one of those newfangled meeting apps. I'll even groom!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Did anything come out of this? Who knows Greek better so that they can offer correction and direct with questions? My conversational Greek is nearly nil.

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

Hey all,

I'm still interested, sorry I havn't followed up in a while.... I'm in EST time (-5:00GMT) if interested send me a PM for relevant information.
Or better yet one of those newfangled meeting apps. I'll even groom!

This is a great Idea, its just a matter of agreeing to a time!

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Helikwps wrote:Ditto! Or better yet one of those newfangled meeting apps. I'll even groom!
What apps are those? I have Windows RT on my tablet, so I'm limited on what I can install.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

jaihare wrote:
Helikwps wrote:Ditto! Or better yet one of those newfangled meeting apps. I'll even groom!
What apps are those? I have Windows RT on my tablet, so I'm limited on what I can install.
I recently visited someone who was taking a class with five other students and a prof over the net, where video of each person was tiled on everyone's screen in a kind of virtual classroom. Not sure whether it was an app or a meeting website. This is probably familiar to many of you but it was completely new and amazing to me.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Helikwps wrote:
jaihare wrote:
I recently visited someone who was taking a class with five other students and a prof over the net, where video of each person was tiled on everyone's screen in a kind of virtual classroom. Not sure whether it was an app or a meeting website. This is probably familiar to many of you but it was completely new and amazing to me.
You can do that with Skype, so long as one of the participants in the conversation has Skype Premium.

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

Back in my video game days I used teamspeak to connect to a group of people. As far as I know there's no video but we can connect a large number of people to a virtual conference room. My computer is very powerful, I could run the server from here.

***EDIT***
I took a quick look at the website and it looks like its available on Android, Iphone, Linux, Mac and Windows.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

uberdwayne wrote:Back in my video game days I used teamspeak to connect to a group of people. As far as I know there's no video but we can connect a large number of people to a virtual conference room. My computer is very powerful, I could run the server from here.

***EDIT***
I took a quick look at the website and it looks like its available on Android, Iphone, Linux, Mac and Windows.
There is no application for my tablet (Windows RT). I think Skype would be better.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

uberdwayne wrote: ***EDIT***

iPhone and iPad here -- Skype sounds workable and I could really see this turning into something.

Btw has anyone here ever participated in language tutorial exclusively by Skype/FaceTime, or known someone who has (either as tutor or student)? I'm hoping to get some sort of guided reading in Attic Greek going for my kid next year and I want to know if Skype with a tutor would really be the boon I'd hope it would be. Replies greatly appreciated. Best,
Tim

uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

Post by uberdwayne »

Btw has anyone here ever participated in language tutorial exclusively by Skype/FaceTime, or known someone who has (either as tutor or student)? I'm hoping to get some sort of guided reading in Attic Greek going for my kid next year and I want to know if Skype with a tutor would really be the boon I'd hope it would be. Replies greatly appreciated. Best,
Tim
Hi Tim,

I've never taken any language courses online, so I couldn't tell you anything about it. I'm sure it would be helpful, but I can't say if it would be better over have an instructor there physically.

Moving on, It looks like skype is the way to go! So, next question: Does anyone have Skype "Premium" so we could host a "video conference"? Then we need to determine a time we could all meet. You guys wanna throw out your time zones so we can figure out what works best? I'm GMT -5 hours.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Thanks much uberdwayne and I'm at Pacific standard time here, though I can schedule around UK hours. Sorry to say no premium Skype though.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I'm in Israel - GMT + 2 hours.

Helikwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helikwps »

Btw I'd been a follower of Concordia Seminary's Greek Club podcasts for years, where seminarians met every Wednesday to go over sequential passages of NT Koine (all still available on iTunes). My hunch is something similar will eventually crop up for Attic & Epic online when a critical mass of interest is reached.