Animos

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
sapz
Textkit Neophyte

Animos

Post by sapz »

Hi there!

I encountered a sentence, "Neque enim dictatura mihi unquam animos fecit, ut ne exsilium quidem ademit".
What exactly is the purpose of "animos" (plural acc) here? Why is it plural? Is it something along the lines of "Dictatureship never uplifted my spirits (plural)"?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Animos

Post by adrianus »

Est pluraliter ut dicis, sapz. // Exactly, in the plural: spirits, passions
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3Danimus wrote:2. In particular, some one specific emotion, inclination, or passion (honorable or base; in this signif., in the poets and prose writers, very freq. in the plur.). —a. Courage, spirit...b. Haughtiness, arrogance, pride...c. Violent passion, vehemence, wrath...d. Moderation, patience, calmness, contentedness, in the phrase aequus animus, an even mind...e. Agreeable feeling, pleasure, delight...f. Disposition toward any one...to be well disposed...kind, friendly feeling, affection, kindness, liberality...my heart, my soul...
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.