stet

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
THUNDER CHILD
Textkit Neophyte

stet

Post by THUNDER CHILD »

Hello,

I am trying to find the word or words that make up the phrase STET, used as a proofreading mark. i wish to know the word or words in latin (i already know what it means in english).

Thank you.

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

sto to stand, stand still, remain standing, be upright, be erect
stêt pres subj act 3rd sg

sto , stĕti, stătum, 1 (scanned stĕtĕrunt, Verg. A. 2, 774; 3, 48; Ov. H. 7, 166; Prop. 2, 8, 10), v. n. [root sta-; Sanscr. sthā, sthalam, locus; Gr. sta-, histêmi, to set, place; statêr, weight; O. H. Germ. stām; Goth. standa; Engl. stand] , to stand, in opposition to sitting, walking, or lying prostrate, to stand still, remain standing, stand upright.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/mo ... abetically

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

Yes, Barrius has given all the information you should need. It is the singular 3rd person form of an exhortation/jussive subjunctive. "stet" therefore means "let it stand", where, as you know, "it" refers to the printed parts that were decided to be omitted but were then instead decided to be kept, hence "let it stand" in the corrected version.

~dave