Textkit Logo

~ Salvete ~ Hola ~

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

~ Salvete ~ Hola ~

Postby Seraphinus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi. Normally I wouldn't make an introductory thread (an introductory post would be enough for me, if anything at all), since I think of them as a little too vain and self-centered, but since apparently I'll get banned if I don't make it, so here you go.

I'm some native Spanish speaker (perfectly literate in Spanish and all) from El Salvador who moved to Canada, with a very strong interest in linguistics (especially regarding the history of Spanish/French and typology), though it's really just my main hobby (I don't plan to be an academic linguist or anything like that). I've been studying Latin on my own for a year, and I'm still struggling when reading even easy things like St. Jerome's Bible, but I feel I've been improving a lot. I also have some interest in Ancient Greek, but that's an aside going very slowly so far.
Last edited by Seraphinus on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ēlūcet mâiōrem habēre vim ad discenda ista līberam cūriōsitātem quam meticulōsam necessitātem
It is clear that a free curiosity has a greater force in order to learn these things [languages] than a necessity based on fear. (St. Augustine, Cōnfessiōnēs I.14)
Seraphinus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: ~ Salvete ~ Hola ~

Postby Seraphinus » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 pm

So, my account has now been activated (yay). Also, if anybody was curious, my avatar comes from the Codex Vigilanus, from the page where a drawing of the scribe who made the text can be found (not on Wikimedia, but can be found here). The words near his head say "Inrgno polorum", "in rēgnō polōrum". "Rēgnum polōrum" 'the kingdom of the poles' is apparently one synonym term for the Kingdom of Heaven.

demũq^[s] post peracto huI^[s] uite cursu ·´
    dignetur largiri prema eterna cum
    celicolis Inrgno polorum a.͠n

Dēmumque post perāctō huius uītae cursū,
    dignētur largīrī praemia aeterna cum
    caelicolīs in rēgnō polōrum. Amen.
ēlūcet mâiōrem habēre vim ad discenda ista līberam cūriōsitātem quam meticulōsam necessitātem
It is clear that a free curiosity has a greater force in order to learn these things [languages] than a necessity based on fear. (St. Augustine, Cōnfessiōnēs I.14)
Seraphinus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: ~ Salvete ~ Hola ~

Postby A.A.I » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Great to have you here, Seraphinus.
A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board