Index of lessons
Lesson 102 (review)
1. they paid = τ(ε)ίσαν
2. standing by (aor. masc. sg. dat.) = παράσταντι
3. ἀνώγεα = I had command (plupf. 1st. sg. act.)
4. mast: dat. pl = ἱστοῖσι
5. ἄψ = back, back again
1. In line 121, explain πέμωειας = optative of expectation.
2. In line 206, identify προσηύδων = pres. act. part. nom. sg. masc.
3. Translate πίε οἶνον = drink wine! / he drunk wine.
4. By the use of what simile does Homer show how easily the Cyclops handled the door-stone? = by the simile of an archer replacing the lid of his quiver.
5. In line 185, explain εἰσοράασθαι = explanatory infinitive.
6. Translate ἤλασε πίονα μῆλα = he drove the fat sheep.
7. How large was Polyphemus's new staff? = As large as the mast of a merchant-ship.
8. In line 185, explain μῆκος = accusative of specification.
9. How many men were to thrust the pole into Polyphemus's eye? How were they chosen? = They were fifth with Odysseus, and they were chosen by lot.
10. In line 175, identify and explain ἐπιθείη = potential optative.
11. Translate τὸν γλυκὺς ὕπνος ἵκανε = the sweet sleep came.
12. What was unusual about Polyphemus's actions when he returned to the cave? = to drive all the male animal before leave them in the yard.
1. The giant was a marvel TO LOOK AT = εἰσοράασθαι (explanatory infinitive)
2. I was wandering if somehow I MIGHT PUNISH him = τ(ε)ισαίμην
3. This savage monster was brutal OF VOICE and terrifying IN STRENGTH = φονὴν, κράτος (accusatives of specification)