Textkit Logo

My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 99

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 99

Postby huilen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Index of lessons

Lesson 99

Odyssey passage exercise

#188 οἱ δ´ ὁμαλὸν ποίησαν· ἐγὼ δ´ ἐθόωσα παραστὰς
#189 ἄκρον, ἄφαρ δὲ λάβων ἐπυράκτεον ἐν πυρὶ κηλέῳ.
#190 καὶ τὸ μεν εὖ κατέθηκα κατακρύψας ὑπὸ κόπρῳ,
#191 ἥ ῥα κατὰ σπείους κέκυτο μεγάλ´ ἤλιθα πολλή·
#192 αὐτὰρ τοὺς ἄλλους κλήρῳ πεπαλέσθαι ἄνωγον
#193 ὅς τις τολμήσειεν ἐμοὶ σὺν μοχλὸν ἀείρας
#194 τρῖψαι ἐν ὀφθαλμῷ ὅτε τὸν γλυκὺς ὕπνος ἱκάνοι.
#195 οἱ δ´ ἔλαχον, τοὺς ἄν κε καὶ ἤθελον αὐτὸς ἐλέσθαι,
#196 τέσσαρες, αὐτὰρ ἐγὼ πέμπτος μετὰ τοῖσιν ἐλέγμην.

Scanned verses:

#188 οῑ δ´ ο̆μᾰ|λο̄ν ποῑ|η̄σᾰν· ε̆|γω̄ δ´ ε̆θο̆|ω̄σᾰ πᾰ|ρᾱστᾰς
#189 ᾱκρο̆ν, ᾰ|φᾱρ δε̆ λᾰ|βω̄ν ε̆πῠ|ρᾱκτε̆ο̆ν | ε̄ν πῠρῐ | κη̄λεῳ̄.
#190 καῑ το̆ με̆ν | εῡ κᾰτε̆|θη̄κᾰ κᾰ|τᾱκρῡ|ψᾱς ῠπο̆ | κο̆πρῳ̄,
#191 η̄ ρᾰ κᾰ|τᾱ σπεῑ|οῡς κε̆κῠ|το̄ με̆γᾰ|λ´ η̄λῐθᾰ | πο̄λλη̄·
#192 αῡτᾱρ | τοῡς ᾱλ|λοῡς κλη̄|ρῳ̄ πε̆πᾰ|λε̄σθαῐ ᾰ|νω̄γο̄ν
#193 ο̄ς τῑς | το̄λμη̄|σεῑε̆ν ε̆|μοῑ σῡν | μο̄χλο̆ν ᾰ|εῑρᾰς
#194 τρῑψαῐ ε̆ν | ο̄φθᾱλ|μῳ̄ ο̆τε̆ | το̄ν γλῠκῠς | ῡπνο̆ς ῐ|κᾱνοῑ.
#195 οῑ δ´ ε̆λᾰ|χο̄ν, τοῡς | ᾱν κε̆ καῐ | η̄θε̆λο̆ν | αῡτο̆ς ε̆|λε̄σθαῑ,
#196 τε̄σσᾰρε̆ς, | αῡτᾰρ ε̆|γω̄ πε̄μ|πτο̄ς με̆τᾰ | τοῑσῐν ε̆|λε̄γμη̄ν.

#189. Is there a synizesis in the last two syllables of κηλέῳ?
#190. The third syllable of κατακρύψας is long because is followed by a double consonant.
#192. The last syllable of πεπαλέσθαι is short because of the correption.
#195. καὶ, Ibid.

Translation:

But they made (it) smoth; so I, having approached it, made sharp the edge, and taking (it) quickly I burned it in the blazing fire. And (then) I deposited it carefully (εὖ), having hidden it under the excrement that had been scattered down over the cave, mighty and very much (excrement); then I commanded the others to determine the fate by lot, (to see) who should dare to, lifting with me the stake, grind (it) in his eye when sweet sleep took him. And who were selected by lot (lit: who obtained the lot), those I myself would have wished to be chosen, four (of them), and I chose myself the fifth after them.

#191. Which is the function of ῥα here?
#193. ὅς τις τολμήσειεν: indirect question in the past (future in the past direct question (τίς τολμήσει;) becomes present optative in the past indirect question); ἐμοὶ σὺν = σὺν ἐμοὶ
#194. ὅτε...ἱκάνοι: which is the name of this construction? Why is the optative present here?

English to greek exercises:

1. I urged them to take the stake of green olive-wood and put it in the fire, that it might be made ready for the deed which we were about to do.

ἤνωξα σφέας λάβοντας χλώρον μοχλὸν ἐλαΐνεον θῆκαι ἐν πυρὶ, ἵνα τεύχοιτο ἔργῳ ὅν ποίησαι ἐμελλομεν.*

(*) Secondary purpose construction.

2. Who of my comrades would dare with me to raise the heavy stake and with it destroy that monstrous eye, when sleep should seize the cruel and pitiless shepherd?

τίς ἡμέων ἑταίρων τλαίη συν μοι ἀείραι ὄβριμον μοχλὸν καὶ ὄλεσσαι τῷ κεῖνο πελώριον ὀφθαλμὸν, ὅτε ὕπνος μάρψειεν σχέτλιον τε νηλέα ποιμένα;*

(*) Future less-vivid construction.

3. He who is swift to obey but hesitates to command is indeed noble in soul and alone worthy to become king.

ὃς τις ᾖ μεν θοὸς πεύθεσθαι, ἅζηται δ´ ἀνώγειν, ἐστὶν ἐσθλὸς ψυχῇ καὶ οἶος χρηστὸς πέλεμεν ἄναξ.*

(*) Present general construction.
huilen
Textkit Member

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners