My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 97

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
huilen
Textkit Member

My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 97

Post by huilen »

Index of lessons

Lesson 97

Odyssey passage exercise

Corrigendum: in line #172, "δὴ" should read "δ´".

#168 ἤμος δ´ ἠριγένεια φάνη ῥοδοδάκτυλος Ἠώς,
#169 καὶ τότε πῦρ ἀνέκαιε καὶ ἤμελγε κλυτὰ μῆλα,
#170 πάντα κατὰ μοῖραν, καὶ ὑπ´ ἔμβρυον ἧκεν ἑκάστῃ.
#171 αὐτὰρ ἐπεὶ δὴ σπεῦσε πονησάμενος τὰ ἃ ἔργα,
#172 σὺν δ´ ὅ γε δ´ αὖτε δύω μάρψας ὁπλίσσατο δεῖπνον.
#173 δειπνήσας δ´ ἄντρου ἐξήλασε πίονα μῆλα,
#174 ῥηϊδίως ἀφελὼν θυρεὸν μέγαν· αὐτὰρ ἔπειτα
#175 ἄψ ἐπέθηχ´, ὡς εἴ τε φαρέτρῃ τῶμ´ ἐπιθείη.
#176 πολλῇ δὲ ῥοίξῳ πρὸς ὄρος τρέπε πίονα μῆλα
#177 Κύκλωψ· αὐτὰρ ἐγὼ λιπόμην κακὰ βυσσοδομεύων,
#178 εἰ πως τεισαίμην, δοίη δὲ μοι εὖχος Ἀθήνη.

Scanned verses:

#168 η̄μο̄ς | δ´ η̄ρῐγε̆|νεῑᾰ φᾰ|νη̄ ρο̆δο̆|δᾱκτῠλο̆ς | Η̄ω̄ς,
#169 καῑ το̆τε̆ | πῡρ ᾰνε̆|καῑε̆ καῐ | η̄με̄λ|γε̄ κλῠτᾰ | μη̄λᾰ,
#170 πᾱντᾰ κᾰ|τᾱ μοῑ|ρᾱν, καῐ ῠ|π´ ε̄μβρῠο̆ν | η̄κε̆ν ε̆|κᾱστη̄.
#171 αῡτᾰρ ε̆|πεῑ δη̄ | σπεῡσε̆ πο̆|νη̄σᾰμε̆|νο̄ς τᾰ ᾰ | ε̄ργᾱ,
#172 συν δ´ ο γε δ´ αυτε δυω μαρψας οπλισσατο δειπνον.
#173 δεῑπνη̄|σᾱς δ´ ᾱν|τροῡ ε̄|ξη̄λᾰσε̆ | πῑο̆νᾰ | μη̄λᾰ,
#174 ρη̄ῐδῐ|ω̄ς ᾰφε̆|λω̄ν θῠρε̆|ο̄ν με̆γᾰν· | αῡτᾰρ ε̆|πεῑτᾰ
#175 ᾱψ ε̆πε̆|θη̄χ´, ω̄ς | εῑ τε̆ φᾰ|ρε̄τρη̄ | τω̄μ´ ε̆πῐ|θεῑη̄.
#176 πο̄λλη̄ | δε̄ ροῑ|ξω̄ προ̆ς ο̆|ρο̄ς τρε̆πε̆ | πῑο̆νᾰ | μη̄λᾰ
#177 Κῡκλω̄ψ· | αῡτᾰρ ε̆|γω̄ λῐπο̆|μη̄ν κᾰκᾰ | βῡσσο̆δο̆|μεῡω̄ν,
#178 εῑ πω̄ς | τεῑσαῑ|μη̄ν, δοῑ|η̄ δε̆ μοῐ | εῡχο̆ς Ᾰ|θη̄νη̄.

#169, καὶ is short because is a diphthong at the end of the foot before a vowel.
#170. Ibid.
#173. First syllable of ἐξήλασε is long by position because is followed by a double consonant.
#178. μοι, Ibid. #169.

Translation:

And when early-born, rosy-fingered Eos appeared, then he (the Cyclops) rekindled the fire and milked all in turn the excellent sheep, and put (her) young to each one. But after he had hastened to do his work he seized together two (of us) again and prepared his breakfast. So then, having taken (his) meal, he drove the fat sheep out of the cave, taking away easily the big door-stone; but then he put (it) back again, like if he had put the lid on the quiver. Then the Cyclops turned the fat sheep to the mountain with much whistling; and I was left planning secretly bad things, if somehow I could take vengance upon (him), and Athene give me a joyous triumph.

English to greek exercises:

1. He left us there in the cave, planning how we might punish the Cyclops and go back again to our ships; but how could we lift that mightly door-stone out of the way?

λίπεν ἡμέας τῇ ἐν σπῆι, μηδόμενους πῶς τιοίμεθα Κύκλωπα καὶ βαίνοιμεν ἄψ πρὸς ἡμέτερας νηὰς·* πῶς δ´ ἀείραιμεν ὄβριμον θυρεὸν ἐκ κέλευθου;

* πῶς τιοίμεθα...βαίνοιμεν: indirect question in the past (future in past direct question (πῶς τισόμεθα...βησομεν;) becomes present optative in past indirect question).

2. The monstruous shepherd was cruel and savage, yet he well knew how to lead his excellent flocks over the mountains, to some place where they might ind food.

πελώπιος ποιμὴν ἦν σχέτλιος τε ἄγριος τε, αὐτὰρ ᾔδη ἄγειν κλυτὰ μῆλα ὑπὲρ ὄρεας, πρὸς τινα χῶρον τῇ εὑρίσκοιεν* σῖτον.

* εὑρίσκοιεν: optative of expectation

3. Having drawn (aor.) my sharp sword easily from beside (my) thigh, I prepared destruction for the ruthless Cyclops, if somehow I might be able to kill him.

ἐρυσσάμενος ὀξὺ ξίφος ῥηϊδίως παρὰ μηροῦ, ὅπλισσα ὀλεθρὸν νηλεὶ Κύκλωπι, εἰ πως δυναίμην* κτεῖναι μιν.

* εἰ πως δυνησαίμην: indirect question in the past (future in past direct question (δυνήσομαι κτεῖναι μιν;) becomes present optative in past indirect question).
Last edited by huilen on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Answer key continuation of the S&H course, Lesson 97

Post by Paul Derouda »

Some comments again:
#169, καὶ is short because is a diphthong at the end of the foot before a vowel. (See section 565.1.c)

#170. Ibid.
I agree.
#172. I couldn't scan this verse, is there some type of irregularity in the metric?
I can't make that scan either. But I looked up my van Thiel edition, which has
σὺν δ´ ὅ γε δ' αὖτε δύω μάρψας ὁπλίσσατο δεῖπνον.
which scans better. Is there a mistake?
#173. First syllable of ἐξήλασε is long by position because is followed by a double consonant. (See section 565.1.a)

#178. μοι, Ibid. #169.
I agree on both

Translation:

καὶ τότε πῦρ ἀνέκαιε καὶ ἤμελγε κλυτὰ μῆλα
Here the first kai isn't parallel with the second one, it doesn't mean both...and. Rather, καὶ τότε goes together, which is a bit difficult to translate in this particular case. Kai puts some emphasis on tote, I think, but is perhaps best left untranslated. If you translated it, maybe καὶ τότε = "then indeed", "that's when".

αὐτὰρ ἐπεὶ δὴ σπεῦσε πονησάμενος τὰ ἃ ἔργα
Not "since he hastened", the meaning is temporal here, not causal. "After he had hastened to do his work", or something like that.

σὺν δ´ ὅ γε δ' αὖτε δύω μάρψας ὁπλίσσατο δεῖπνον
Maybe it's better to translate: again (αὖτε), he seized together two (of us) and prepared his breakfast. More a matter of taste I guess, but I guess sometimes it's more natural not translate a participle with a participle.
#172. σὺν: adv. = together; what function have the particles γε, δή and the pronoun ὅ in this sentence?
σὺν + μάρψας go together, they are in "tmesis". They really make only one word, συμμάρπτω. Compare English "look up", "shut up" "live up with" etc. This is an important feature of Homeric Greek.

γε: add some emphasis to the preceding word. Often it's like when in English you pronounce a word with more stress. Like the previous word was put into italics. In this particular case it difficult to translate. I'd guess that it more like puts some emphasis on the whole statement, "then indeed he seized two of us together..." I'm not sure this gives exactly the same idea, so I think it's better left untranslated.

ὅ is just "he".

huilen
Textkit Member

Re: Answer key continuation of the S&H course, Lesson 97

Post by huilen »

Thank you again for your revision! I really appreciate it. I will modify my post with your corrections if you don't mind, for the sake of the readability of the answer key.
I can't make that scan either. But I looked up my van Thiel edition, which has
σὺν δ´ ὅ γε δ' αὖτε δύω μάρψας ὁπλίσσατο δεῖπνον.
which scans better. Is there a mistake?
Yep! I had missed the elision.
EDIT: It was not me, I've check it the book and there is a mistake in the book. I will add a corrigendum section in the post for this.
αὐτὰρ ἐπεὶ δὴ σπεῦσε πονησάμενος τὰ ἃ ἔργα
Not "since he hastened", the meaning is temporal here, not causal. "After he had hastened to do his work", or something like that.
Now with the temporal meaning makes more sense. Beyond that, I am in doubt with this verse, I don't understand why the participle is in the aorist, I would understand σπεῦσε + infinitive, or σπεῦσε + present participle. The perseus says:
1. c. part., σπεῦσε πονησάμενος τὰ ἃ ἔργα (for σπουδαίως ἐπονήσατο) Od.9.250, cf. S.El.935, E.Med.761 (anap.), Ar.Ach.179: reversely, σπεύδων in haste, eagerly, “τὼ δὲ σπεύδοντε πετέσθην” Il.23.506; “ἵκετο σπεύδων” Pi. P.4.95; “εἰς ἀρθμὸν ἐμοὶ . . σπεύδων σπεύδοντί ποθ᾽ ἥξει” A.Pr.193 (anap.); “ς. ἐβοήθει” X.HG4.3.1.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... ek#lexicon
but I guess sometimes it's more natural not translate a participle with a participle.
I agree, I was trying to make a literal translation, but I will try to not force the participles in such cases.