My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 98

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
huilen
Textkit Member

My answers to Schoder & Horrigan course, Lesson 98

Post by huilen »

Index of lessons

Lesson 98

Odyssey passage exercise:

#179 ἥδε δὲ μοι κατὰ θυμὸν ἀρίστη φαίνετο βουλή·
#180 Κύκλωπος γὰρ ἔκειτο μέγα ῥόπαλον παρὰ σηκῷ,
#181 χλωρὸν ἐλαΐνεον· τὸ μὲν ἔκταμεν, ὄφρα φοροίη
#182 αὐανθέν. τὸ μὲν ἄμμες εΐσκομεν εἰσορὸωντες
#183 ὅσσον θ´ ἱστὸν νηὸς ἐεικοσόροιο μελαίνης,
#184 φότριδος εὐρείης, ἥ τ´ ἐκπεράᾳ μέγα λαῖτμα·
#185 τόσσον ἔην μῆκος, τόσσον τάχος εἰσοράασθαι.
#186 τοῦ μὲν ὅσον τ´ ὄργυιαν ἐγὼν ἀπέκοψα παραστὰς
#187 καὶ παρέθηχ´ ἑτάροισιν, ἀποξύναι δ´ ἐκέλευσα·

Scanned verses:

#179 η̄δε̆ δε̆ | μοῑ κᾰτᾰ | θῡμο̆ν ᾰ|ρῑστη̄ | φαῑνε̆το̆ | βοῡλη̄·
#180 Κῡκλω̄|πο̄ς γᾰρ ε̆|κεῑτο̆ με̆|γᾱ ρο̆πᾰ|λο̄ν πᾰρᾰ | ση̄κῳ̄,
#181 χλω̄ρο̆ν. ε̆|λᾱῐνε̆|ο̄ν· το̆ με̆ν | ε̄κτᾰμε̆ν, | ο̄φρᾰ φο̆|ροῑη̄
#182 αῡᾱν|θε̄ν το̆ με̆ν | ᾱμμε̆ς ε̆|ῑσκο̆με̆ν | εῑσο̆ρο̆|ω̄ντε̆ς
#183 ο̄σσο̄ν | θ´ ῑστο̄ν | νη̄ο̆ς ε̆|εῑκο̆σο̆|ροῑο̆ με̆|λαῑνη̄ς,
#184 φο̄τρῐδο̆ς | εῡρεῑ|η̄ς, η̄ | τ´ ε̄κπε̆ρᾰ|ᾱͅ με̆γᾰ | λαῑτμᾰ·
#185 το̄σσο̆ν ε̆|η̄ν μη̄|κο̄ς, το̄σ|σο̄ν τᾰχο̆ς | εῑσο̆ρᾰ|ᾱσθαῑ.
#186 τοῡ με̆ν ο̆|σο̄ν τ´ ο̄ρ|γυῑᾰν ε̆|γω̄ν ᾰπε̆|κο̄ψᾰ πᾰ|ρᾱστᾰς
#187 καῑ πᾰρε̆|θη̄χ´ ε̆τᾰ|ροῑσῐν, ᾰ|πο̄ξῡ|ναῑ δ´ ε̆κε̆|λεῡσᾰ·

#181. Note that there is a diaeresis on the third vowel of ἐλαΐνεον.
#187. Why is the third syllable of ἀποξύναι long?

Translation:

And this seemed in to me in (my) heart to be the best plan: since a great club of the Cyclops lays beside the pen, (a staff) of green olive-wood; which he (had) cut down in order that he might carry it when dry (lit. having dried). We indeed, looking at it, judged it to be as great as the mast of a twenty-oared black ship, a wide merchant-ship, which traverse the great gulf (of the sea); so great was in length, so great (was) in thickness to look upon. And I, having approaching (it), cut of it about (the length of) a fathom, and both place (it) beside (my) comrades, and command them to taper (it).

#183. Which is the function of θ´ (τε) in this sentence?
#185. μῆκος and τάχος are accusatives of specification; εἰσοράασθαι is an explinatory infinitive.
#186. ὅσον: in reference to distances = about, nearly.
#187. Τhe prefix παρά of παρέθηχ´ takes the dative.

English to greek exercises:

1. My comrades standing by thought that the tall green-olive tree was similar to the great mast of a deep, black ship; so great was it in length to look at.

ἡμοὶ ἑταίροι παριστάμενοι νόησαν χλωρὸν τὸν ἐλαίνεον δένδρεον εἶναι ὁμοῖον μεγάλῳ ἱστῷ βαθεῖης μελαίνης νηὸς· τόσσος ἦν τοῦ μῆκος *εἰσοράασθαι.

*εἰσοράασθαι: explinatory infinitive.

2. "Lest another and more destructive war seize the suffering world, go yourselves," he said, "and teach men in every town and every land that they are all brothers to one another. Therefore they must love each other and not fight. There is no other way to peace."

"ἵνα μὴ ἕτερος τε καὶ ὀλοὸς πτόλεμος μάρψῃ κόσμον,* βῆτε," εἶπε, "καὶ διδάξατε ἄνδρας ἐν πάντι ποληὶ καὶ πάντι γαῖῃ τοῦς ἔμμεναι πάντας κασιγνετοὺς ἀλλήλους. ἄρα χρὴ ἡμέας φίλειν ἀλλήλους μήδε μάχεσθαι. οὐκ ἔμμεν ἕτερην ὅδον πρὸς εἰρήνην."

(*) Primary purpose construction.

3. Whenever any plan seems best to me in my knowing heart, my comrades always accept it, because they have faith in me.

ἦμος τις βουλὴ δοκέῃ ἀρίστη μοι κατὰ θυμὸν, ἡμοὶ ἑταίροι αἰεὶ δέχονται τὸν, ὅτι πιστεύουσι μοι.*

* Present general construction.